Anything advice on my aquarium? Not sure i like it that much

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tednyx

AC Members
Jun 10, 2020
I use inexpensive timers too. Like tl said you can split the time, supposedly that can help with some algae too. It also depends on where in your house the tank is & how often you're close to it for viewing. My computer tanks are on a different schedule than my living room 1s (lounge to you, ha! just Brit teasing, I just can't help it sometimes ;) ). Just another reason to have more than 1 tank. My only thing is not in the bedroom, but that's us...

Yeah think it’s a good thing to have, it’s in my bedroom? and we call it living room! the area where the TV and the sofa is ?? yeah i have no doubt i’ll have more tanks ?

You probably can do just some of the Safe Start & save some but again, I have no experience with it, lol. You could act like you have a 5g or so (you do the math...maths?) for 10 embers. Then get say, 10 pygmy corys in a couple weeks after a WC, with more Safe Start, but maybe not as much? The beneficial bacteria can double in 24 hours or so. Really, I'm guessing on how to use Safe Start.

yeah i’ve added safestart and then i got 10 cardinal tetras, was no ember ones and i liked the colours on these! i will do daily water tests to see how it gets on

Then wait a while, get to know your fish & tank, how to feed without leftovers (remove excess food until you know) & regular biggish weekly water changes need to be a habit!! See if you want more fish & what might be "missing" for you. I have to say (again) rasboras are probably too similar in color & size with the embers. A male honey gourami? OR 8 cardinal tetras ( but not both).... Tanks evolve over time as fish & plants grow. & fish shopping is fun even when you're not buying...road trips? we do them here...

yeah that’s the plan, i couldn’t find any pygmys, i really like the look of male guppys. do you think if i get 6 males they would work and be compatible in my tank?
yeah water changes have already become a habit ? i like guppy’s, i loved the colour of red platties with black tails. can’t wait to see the tank evolve ? haha will need to find someone to go on fish road trips here, sounds fun?

I'm going to give your lfs a pass on the Oscar... for a while...Maybe they took him in without a good tank to put it in. I truly hope it's not a demo set up...

they also had a huge flower horn in the tank next door last week but yesterday he wasn’t there anymore, just the big oscar. they could have found a bigger tank there! it was so bad, it’s like he could barely move around ?‍♂

Keep us up with pics, you're doing good so far but, well, no fish yet...

Fish is here!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
So, it's been a week...what's going on now? How are the cardinal tetras doing? Testing numbers? Cards are usually bigger than embers when you get them & of course get larger... pygmy corys next? Then, since you went with larger tetras think very hard if you have room for more fish. I forgot how small your tank is...Go slow!

Last edited:

Tednyx

AC Members
Jun 10, 2020
tetras are doing great! settled nicely :D ive been changing waters every 3 days ish as amonia was around 2. ah really? didnt know they were bigger

pygmy corys i hope! if the shop has them :) i want to add a betta too and then thats it sorted! can i add shrimps/snails with the fish i want to add? yeah my tank is 54 litres!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm very concerned you're seeing so much ammonia. Did you add more Safe Start following the directions? Does it stay at 2ppm? Until ammonia get to 0, you should NOT add more fish. If you use something like Prime dechlorinator it will keep ammonia in a safer form for 24-48 hours.

Tednyx

AC Members
Jun 10, 2020
i think its because i added fish so its still in process, and getting used to the fish load? i will do another test tomorrow when my aquasafe arrives, and keep you updated on what its showing. i had a small bottle of safestart so i put it all in. like the bottle was tiny. how long after you add it should you do water change? because that could be a reason, i may have done a water change too soon after?

Is prime dechlorinator worth to buy? do you use it much?
I'm very concerned you're seeing so much ammonia. Did you add more Safe Start following the directions? Does it stay at 2ppm? Until ammonia get to 0, you should NOT add more fish. If you use something like Prime dechlorinator it will keep ammonia in a safer form for 24-48 hours.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
What did the Safe Start bottle say about water changes & how long it takes to work? I thought it "instantly" cycled the tank...How much water &/or fish does a "small" bottle treat? You know we've been through all this before...Have you tested for nitrite? I googled it but didn't see how much a small bottle treats...

Yes, I use Prime, some others, but not, all are similar. (I buy it by the gallon, lol & use it all the time, I have several big tanks but just use it as a dechlorinator since my tanks are cycled & with a TON of plants) It "locks up" ammonia, really it changes it into the safer form "ammonium". It still shows up on ammonia tests. It may be that Aqua Safe does that too but I didn't see that on a quick google. I think it might or your fish would be distressed (hanging near the top, red gills, fast breathing). Are they having any of those signs?

Tednyx

AC Members
Jun 10, 2020
yeah it is instant so you can add fish safely. ive done the tests for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite and here is results ive done a water change. this is the first time ive seen more than 0 on nitrate and nitrite when ive done tests

will take a look, aqua safe makes the water safe so you can add it in the tank when doing water changes

Fish seem fine, they have none of them, they swim around and look to be happy! Good sign i hope lol
What did the Safe Start bottle say about water changes & how long it takes to work? I thought it "instantly" cycled the tank...How much water &/or fish does a "small" bottle treat? You know we've been through all this before...Have you tested for nitrite? I googled it but didn't see how much a small bottle treats...

Yes, I use Prime, some others, but not, all are similar. (I buy it by the gallon, lol & use it all the time, I have several big tanks but just use it as a dechlorinator since my tanks are cycled & with a TON of plants) It "locks up" ammonia, really it changes it into the safer form "ammonium". It still shows up on ammonia tests. It may be that Aqua Safe does that too but I didn't see that on a quick google. I think it might or your fish would be distressed (hanging near the top, red gills, fast breathing). Are they having any of those signs?

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
If the Safe Start works so well, why is there so much ammonia and nitrite (and no nitrate)?
What is the pH? Have you tested your tap water for ammonia and nitrite?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sunlight
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store