Aquarium Products System 1 Diatom Aquarium Filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
That product is used for getting you water extra clean -- what some call "polishing" the water. It's not a necessity, but good to use on ocassion, or a little while after a water change. I have the Vortex XL, it is also a diatom filter.

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
Originally posted by 125gJoe
That product is used for getting you water extra clean -- what some call "polishing" the water. It's not a necessity, but good to use on ocassion, or a little while after a water change. I have the Vortex XL, it is also a diatom filter.
I was thinking about getting one of these filters. Will this help if I get an algae bloom (cloudy water) in one of my tanks?

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Tyler718, yes the Vortex makes any cloudy water crystal clear!

I use it after water changes (let the water settle some first..)... That's once a week, but could be used more for even cleaner water.

I'll post the "best" instructions on using the Vortex XL if/when you get one. The instructions that come with this filter is poor at best.

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
Tyler718, yes the Vortex makes any cloudy water crystal clear!

I use it after water changes (let the water settle some first..)... That's once a week, but could be used more for even cleaner water.

I'll post the "best" instructions on using the Vortex XL if/when you get one. The instructions that come with this filter is poor at best.
Thanks Joe. This is the one I am thinking about ordering. I'll get back with you when I get it.

Dave

Edit- I just ordered it so I'll get with you when I get next week.

Last edited:

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Dave, while we are still at this Thread, bookmark this site. It's the "proper" way to set-up and run the Vortex XL.

Link: Vortex Set-Up

The makers of the Vortex should pay this person for the instructions she came up with! Photos provided too! :D

fdiaz78

AC Members
Dec 28, 2003
Naples, FL
Visit site
Dave, while we are still at this Thread, bookmark this site. It's the "proper" way to set-up and run the Vortex XL.

The makers of the Vortex should pay this person for the instructions she came up with! Photos provided too! :D
After reading the link, frankly, it's way too much work :(
I'll stick to my canister filters thank you :)

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David

Thanks Joe!!! It should be here Wednesday or so. I won't be able to use it till this weekend since I'm going out of town for work until this weekend.

DAve

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
Originally posted by fdiaz78

After reading the link, frankly, it's way too much work :(
I'll stick to my canister filters thank you :)
We both run canisters, but this is used in conjunction with on part time basis. You run it to make your water crystal clear, especially after water changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store