Aquarium Salt?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fish Master

Needs more fish tanks
Aug 17, 2012
Colorado
Can i use api freshwater aquarium salt to make a brackish aquarium. I can't use marine salt because there's a label that says if you touch it you need to go to the hospital.
Because of that, my mom won't let me use it.:nono:

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Can i use api freshwater aquarium salt to make a brackish aquarium. I can't use marine salt because there's a label that says if you touch it you need to go to the hospital.
Because of that, my mom won't let me use it.:nono:
What kind of marine salt are you looking at? Get some instant ocean you'll be good to go. And tell yo momma to relax.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I've never had any problems with getting a little on my hands. Just don't eat it.

Now the dihydrogen monoxide that is used in fish keeping is the real danger. It's a hydroxl acid, the main componant of acid rain, can cause serious burns and death in either its gas or liquid state, corrodes metals and found in tumors of cancer patients.
Sent from my ADR6300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Try Kent or Coralife salt, don't see any warning labels on mine other then not for human consumption and to not stuff babies in the bucket lol.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
To answer your question, probably yes . API salt is evaporated sea water. It doesn't reconstitute back into sea water due to the very complex relationships between ions in natural sea water. I wouldn't try it for raising Amano Shrimp or Nerites or other more delicate purposes, but for simply maintaining fish? No problem.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Fwiw I've used every brand of salt out there, and only one causes me any issues with skin contact. Brightwell brand is STRONGLY exothermic when mixed with water. It gets effin' hot! If you reach into a bucket of Brightwell with wet hands you will instantly realize you made a big mistake.That said, I love the stuff! Mixes easily, clears rapidly, gives decent numbers on CA and KH and doesn't break the bank. But if you put 5 gal worth in the bottom of a bucket and add a pint of water it will boil!

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i always thought that aquarium salt intended for freshwater use (API salt, etc) was exactly the same as table salt. so how is the API salt 'evaporated sea water'?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store