Aquarium Salt?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Go full fresh and get dwarf puffers. Even curse than figure 8s

Sent from my ADR6300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
i always thought that aquarium salt intended for freshwater use (API salt, etc) was exactly the same as table salt. so how is the API salt 'evaporated sea water'?
It is essentially table salt. Well sea salt. There are islands in the Caribbean that mass produce the stuff.

Evaporate sea water and you are left with salt.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
It is essentially table salt. Well sea salt. There are islands in the Caribbean that mass produce the stuff.

marine salt (sea salt) and table salt are different, from what i have read, so how is this true?

table salt is mined on land, sea salt is collected from the sea. how can they be the same thing?

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
marine salt (sea salt) and table salt are different, from what i have read, so how is this true?

table salt is mined on land, sea salt is collected from the sea. how can they be the same thing?
There is a difference, but they are essentially the same things (sodium chloride) and have the same uses. It sort of like how there are multiple sources for sugar.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
with salt there are differences in what the particular salt actually contains.

marine salts will contain NaCl as many slts do but marine salt is formulated to contain many trace minerals and generally not fit for human consumption.

when you consider sea salts..these too will vary in the trace ingredients and from different regions actually taste different..becuase of these trace ingredients.
I actually use to keep several differnt sea salts on hand buth they can get quite costly ;)
for cooking I use kosher salt.. but use sea salt to add zest to foods after they have been cooked(sea salt tends to lose it's unique flavor when dissolved or during cooking)

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
i always thought that aquarium salt intended for freshwater use (API salt, etc) was exactly the same as table salt. so how is the API salt 'evaporated sea water'?
How? By evaporation of course. It's made at a facility in Bonaire which also makes culinary sea salt by exactly the same process. The culinary stuff undergoes additional grinding operations, but that's the only difference. New packaging from API actually states that it's made from evaporated sea water

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009

If you mix API aquarium salt with RO water to about 1.023 you get a Ca+ reading of over 200 and a KH of about 6. Doing the same with Morton's non iodized gives a Ca+ of 20 (calcium prussiate added to prevent caking) and a KH of < 1.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
with salt there are differences in what the particular salt actually contains.

marine salts will contain NaCl as many slts do but marine salt is formulated to contain many trace minerals and generally not fit for human consumption.

when you consider sea salts..these too will vary in the trace ingredients and from different regions actually taste different..becuase of these trace ingredients.
I actually use to keep several differnt sea salts on hand buth they can get quite costly ;)
for cooking I use kosher salt.. but use sea salt to add zest to foods after they have been cooked(sea salt tends to lose it's unique flavor when dissolved or during cooking)
About the only thing I use the API stuff for is culinary purposes. VERY reasonably priced compared to any culinary brand, you just need to grind it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store