aquarium show questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

somefinnfishy

AC Members
May 12, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
www.freewebs.com
Any one ever enter a contest and bring in there home tank?
Many catagories are given awards.
I think I will go to this years and enter next year.
But my congos are at there prime and DESERVE a trophy :)
Advise needed

Z Man

AC Members
Apr 21, 2001
Western New York
members.aol.com
I have entered some of my fish and was also lucky enough to win some places also. Most 'shows' award cash as prizes now because it is easier for them than trophies. You usually can figure out the prize money very easily. Find out what they are charging to sponsor one class ($30 tops) and that is divided $15 - 1st, $10 - 2nd, $5 - 3rd. But you don't get any award to display at home unless they possibly hand out computer generated certificates. For a Congo Tetra's you would use a 5 gallon (or less) completely bare container with at least one flat side. You can add one small filter if needed. I know the cichlid show champion, Ron Georgeone and he has about 20 clean empty tanks of several sizes that he uses just for shows. Rest of the year they just sit empty. It's a lot of work but also a lot of fun. If you want lots more info, contact me off list through my site.

somefinnfishy

AC Members
May 12, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
www.freewebs.com
That is what they list as a bowl show
This is a aquarium show planted,marine and comunity classes also best reigional display <ie: se asia,amazon basn ect> they provide air and tables for 20g and under they sugest heater and lighting.

BTW I own a empty 5g with glass lid and a clip on 13w 50/50CF light:)

Z Man

AC Members
Apr 21, 2001
Western New York
members.aol.com
What I described were shows put on by ACA, OCA, NEC and many other national organizations. They don't expect people to load their entire tank in a car and drive 100's of miles. Thus the shows I go to have just one single fish in each tank. I do know that local clubs do have some classes that you mention but they are extremely difficult to set up for just 2 or 3 days. Our local club does have one "Tank Beautiful" class similar to those you mention BUT and that's a big BUT!, I have found that most times people who set up an entire landscaped tank find it takes almost 2 days for the tank to settle down and clear up. By that time the displays have been judged and those that are still cloudy are out of contention. This is just another aspect of the aquarium hobby and there are many people into it but it is very difficult. I suggest you enter a tank at a local show and see how all the 'old pro's' do it. You will learn a lot from the experience and meet a lot of new people. It's fun but you must be dedicated to showing. I haven't shown (single fish) in a few years because it is very time consuming. As I stated, try it, you may really enjoy it.

somefinnfishy

AC Members
May 12, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
www.freewebs.com
This isnt a small show either it will have like 150-200 10gallon or bigger tanks on display:).
Then its folowed up with all day auction of fish and equipment so plenty of non contestents see the tanks.
The water clearing up prob will be handled by 3 large hydro sponge filters they will take down a sand cloud over night:cool:the pull two out mourning of judging.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store