aquarium tubing locating/pricing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Daniel Unique Name

AC Members
Dec 13, 2017
Hello everyone, I'm building my aquarium and the submersible pump has a fitting for 1in - 1 1/4 ID tubing. I'm looking for 1in ID tubing.

It seems everywhere online s $2 per foot for vinyl tubing and I need about 15ft. Is this normal? Should I be finding cheaper? I sure don't seem to being able to locate it.

I indeed will be sticking with vinyl as all the plastics have horrid reviews of pinholes and breaks and understandably so.
Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for everything :)

PS: The intake of the pump is 1 1/4 but the outlet can fit 1in. Will this choke my pump? it was even more of a pain to simply locate 1 1/4 ID tubing much less compare prices.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
What size tank is this for? 1-1/4" ID is pretty huge.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
15ft of 1 - 1 1/4" ID tubing!? Must be a big tank, I wanna see it! lol Yes, I buy tubing from my local big box stores. Having a bigger intake than output is perfectly fine, it's the other way around that may cause problems. Never want to restrict flow TO a pump but can throttle back the outflow quite a bit. Good luck!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I should have asked...are you talking flexible tygon tubing like airline?(I was). But maybe you mean rigid like pvc or UGF clear tubing?

Yeah, like myswtsins said, 15ft is kind of a lot, lol. I wanna see too!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I should have asked...are you talking flexible tygon tubing like airline?(I was). But maybe you mean rigid like pvc or UGF clear tubing?

Yeah, like myswtsins said, 15ft is kind of a lot, lol. I wanna see too!
I am thinking this is not airline since I don't think there are any submersible air pumps.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I read it to use airline as an example of flexible tubing, not that it was going to be used to move air.

If it's coming as a single piece, I would sure hope it's going to be flexible!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I was referring to flexible tubing. I had cavitation issues with vinyl with a submersible pump & had to use some rigid tubing too, in a waterfall setting, 15 feet is a lonnggg stretch, eek!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store