Aquasafe and iron/fertilisers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mdowdall

AC Members
Feb 24, 2006
Howdy

If I add a trace element fertiliser to my tank (Plantamin) and then add Aquasafe, is the addition of the second defeating the addition of the first if you understand me?

I read somewhere else that Aquasafe can remove metals and such like.

Am I wasting my time adding trace elements and Aquasafe?

Thanks if any one can help (nice forum by the way)

mdowdall

Jay

AC Members
Feb 16, 2004
Eastern Shore Md
Visit site
Hi mdowdall...Welcome

If I add a trace element fertiliser to my tank (Plantamin) and then add Aquasafe, is the addition of the second defeating the addition of the first if you understand me?
I read somewhere else that Aquasafe can remove metals and such like.
Are you adding the stuff only at water change?

I think the "heavy metals" in question are copper, zinc, lead, and manganese.
I would check with your local water department's water quality report and see if there is an issue. if not why treat for it? I do not use Aquasafe as my primary need is to deal with chlorine and chloramine only.

From the little reading I have done on the product, I do not think it will interfere with iron dosing. I always dose micros 24 hours after a water change and then every other day opposite my macro dosing as I believe PO4 will cause the iron to precipitate out if dosed too close in time.

Jay

mdowdall

AC Members
Feb 24, 2006
hey

I was adding the aquasafe at water changes to elimate chlorine/chloramine which I know is in the water.

Then I read that thi sstuff removes metals (copper for example) and I was worried that it would nullify my trace fertilisers, also added at water changes.

So I didnt want to be wasting time and money adding both if one was hindering the other.

Im not really into adding stuff to the tanks anyway as I haven no real problems with either fish plants or algae.

But thanks for th einfo

mdowdall

MrDibbs

AC Members
Oct 19, 2017
hey

I was adding the aquasafe at water changes to elimate chlorine/chloramine which I know is in the water.

Then I read that thi sstuff removes metals (copper for example) and I was worried that it would nullify my trace fertilisers, also added at water changes.

So I didnt want to be wasting time and money adding both if one was hindering the other.

Im not really into adding stuff to the tanks anyway as I haven no real problems with either fish plants or algae.

But thanks for th einfo

mdowdall
So the purpose of the Aquasafe is to remove chlorine and chloramine, as these chemicals are regularly added to tap water in order to prevent bacteria build up. Unfortunately those same chemicals that keep our drinking water clean kill the beneficial bacteria in the aquarium.

Aquasafe is designed to take out the chlorine and chloramine, as well as remove the heavy metals as mentioned already. Heavy metals are: Mercury (Hg), cadmium (Cd), arsenic (As), chromium (Cr), thallium (Tl), and lead (Pb). You don't really want to be drinking these yourself, although I think that humans can tolerate a certain level. I'd leave that research up to you.

However to fish, smaller amounts of these metals are likely more dangerous, hence the aquasafe. I'm not sure if aquasafe is a chemical compound that breaks down these heavy metals or bacteria that live off them, another good thing to research.

Plantamin and fertilisers will provide elements to the aquarium such as magnesium, iron and potassium. These are not heavy metals and should therefore not be "treated" by the aquasafe.

I have been using aquasafe when I do water changes and tetramin once a month, although I think that with regular water changes I need to up the dosage of tetramin.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store