Aquascape help...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mandyaj_25

AC Members
Oct 22, 2008
This is my tank and to me it looks kind of like an awkward mess. I am new with the planted tank. I will be changing the background to black and I am really needing some suggestions on what to do with my plants and wood though? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I currently have jungle Val, large Anubis, java fern, not sure what is in the front??

IMG_0195.JPG

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Not a bad start, a black background will help! What size is your tank? With sand you need some kind of root tab ferts, there's nothing helping those crypts (?) on the left. What's the floating plant on the top left? I can't tell.

mandyaj_25

AC Members
Oct 22, 2008
Not a bad start, a black background will help! What size is your tank? With sand you need some kind of root tab ferts, there's nothing helping those crypts (?) on the left. What's the floating plant on the top left? I can't tell.
Yes the crypts (that's what they are) are doing poorly! I wondered if I should have attached them to the wood. I will definitely look into root tabs thanks for the suggestion. The floating plant is actually fake. I have guppies and platys so I thought I'd put something in to at least give the fry a chance.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If you want something live for fry, try guppy grass or watersprite.. it will float, provides lots of hiding spots for fry and is easy to control.

I think changing the background is important; I'm not a huge fan of the placement of the wood either, I think it maybe needs to be positioned to make a stronger statement, and provide a focal point, rather than framing the aquarium.

I think letting plants grow in and become thicker will help.. I suspect the tank is a 10g tank, in which case the vals might prove to be too tall.

You might be able to use taller crypts, or ones that have grown for longer in the background. Maybe something with a bit more color (say crypt flamingo)

and root tabs will help immensely with your rooted plants too.

But it looks fine.. let it grow in, and that should make it look much better without you doing much of anything.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I was guessing a 20g high, lol@ dougall. (based on 2 door stand).

Your lights look like LEDs, yes? I'm old school, I don't have them yet.

I doubt those are "jungle vals"; mine have a large 6-10 inch "comb-over effect" in a 20 inch tall tank. Maybe v. nana or extremely young "jungle" offsets. They might like part of a root tab (break them in 1/2 or 1/4s) but they likely don't need encouragement. They'll spread readily if at all happy. They might need some control ie pinch off the extra runners when they go where you don't want them.

mandyaj_25

AC Members
Oct 22, 2008
It's a 26 gallon. And I am not liking the placement of wood also. I want more of a natural look to my tank. I think I may take one of the pieces out and just play with the plant placement and add some rocks. I do have LED's but I'm not sure of the strength. The anibuis seems to be doing great but the other plants are just kinda surviving. I would like to add more lights but I'm scared to do that because I don't know what it will do to my tank with no co2. Im ordering some root tabs so hopefully that will perk them up a bit. The grass at the back was double the length...I just trimmed it to the waters surface.Thanks so much for the input.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Ha, that's what I do my val too.
You really do have to just play around with wood to see what you like...& if it'll stay that way. You might try a tall piece at 1 end with the other lower but touching like a big L (kinda like your stone is now only all wood). Maybe crypts in front of part like you have (you know they may "melt" if you move them but they be ok)

Reactions: mandyaj_25
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store