Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Aquascaping Rock Help :D

Discussion in 'Freshwater Newbie Forum' started by Daniel Unique Name, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Daniel Unique Name

Daniel Unique Name AC Members

Dec 24, 2017
    Hello, Hello Everyone.
    I could use some of your advice on the CHEAPEST aquarium safe aquascaping rocks you know of. By safe I mean of course no asphalt and no kryptonite ;) but also wouldnt effect my ph, kh, gh ect in a negative way. Basically inert. I'm brand new to adding large rocks to aquariums and Instead of reading up on 100 different rocks and listing off a huge list to every rock supplier in town and checking prices, I was hoping to get a boost from the community.

Does anyone know of a few names of the cheapest large 6-10in+ rocks that are basically inert? I've read granite and SOME slate is inert and really cheap but any even cheaper would be a huge help and save me so much time. Looks honestly have no role as I plan to paint them black and am still studying to find the cheapest aquarium safe paint for the job.

So far KRYLON FUSION for plastic is the best way to go but would rather find something for rocks.

Thanks for everything guys, this is the last thing and the aquarium gift will be ready for Christmas!

Merry Christmas Everyone! :D

2. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

45 minutes ago
    Well, it depends on where you live as to what rocks might be readily available. Limestone & sandstones are a no. Granite & slate usually are ok...& then then there's those "dragonstone", "ohkostone (?) etc specialty LFS/Amano pricey rocks. Lava (black or red) rocks are often ok. Rocks are often local, it's expensive to ship them. I'd say beware iron-ish red streaks or flaky asbestos.

I'm no geologist, that's just my experience.

myswtsins likes this.
  3. myswtsins

myswtsins Global Moderator
    Staff Member

Jen
    Today at 10:51 AM
    Jen
    Camera Used:
    Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
    fishorama basically said it all. Whatever rocks are locally quarried are usually the cheapest, although in my case they are stupidly hard to find. So for me delaware river rocks are a great cheap option and they happen to come in every size. But down in SC granite is ridiculously cheap, they use in their drainage ditches *cry*. But let's not forget the cheapest option, collecting rocks yourself.

Why are you painting them? I do not know that any paint would work well on stone in the aquarium. Paint chips off rocks so easily outside the aquarium. If you want black rocks basalt, lava and feather rocks are the cheaper options.

4. lamar

lamar AC Members

Jan 3, 2018
    I use dried reef rock AKA "dryrock" most good fish stores stock it but you can find it cheaper online in google searches

dryrock.jpg