Aqueon Modular leds, what do you think?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

coraline

AC Members
Sep 19, 2013
There is a chance I might be getting this for my 29 gallon Biocube. What do you guys think? Will this be enough light for coral? They seem to have a very low wattage, but I'm not sure if that matters with leds. Any input is appreciated!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
The wattage does matter, even with LEDs, and without a lot of the modular strips, I doubt you'll get any benefit. LED lighting that's coral (or plant) friendly is higher wattage than those that aren't and pricier than their "older" T5HO or MH counterparts, at least up front.

The main measurement you'll be looking at is PAR (photosynthetically active radiation) and I've now largely exhausted my knowledge of reef friendly lighting.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
The Aqueon Modular LED's are an entry level LED fixture and do not have the light output that the current lighting in a 29 Biocube has. It would be a step backward.

There are some aftermarket updgrade kits that you can buy from vendors like Nanotuners that allow you to upgrade the PC lighting in Biocubes to LED or you can remove the lid and add a suspended light over it.

Andy

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Pssst! Coraline! When it comes to Aqueon related stuff, Andy there definitely knows his stuff.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Not a good choice for a reef tank or any kind really. Might maintain some shrooms and leathers but that may be a stretch as well. Not sure if you are considering new fixtures but for not much more money you can any a variety of reef LED fixtures.

coraline

AC Members
Sep 19, 2013
thank you guys! I'm considering new lighting, because the old lights malfunctioned and nearly set the house on fire. I either have to choose new lighting, or give up the tank. The manufacturers of the bio cube are offering to send us a set of the aqueons, but I wanted to get some other opinions first.

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
Not a good choice for a reef tank or any kind really. Might maintain some shrooms and leathers but that may be a stretch as well. Not sure if you are considering new fixtures but for not much more money you can any a variety of reef LED fixtures.
The Aqueon Modular LED fixture is fine for plants that require low to moderate lighting. Also perfect for fish only application.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
thank you guys! I'm considering new lighting, because the old lights malfunctioned and nearly set the house on fire. I either have to choose new lighting, or give up the tank. The manufacturers of the bio cube are offering to send us a set of the aqueons, but I wanted to get some other opinions first.
Which lighting did your BC have? As has been said the aqueons are not strong enough for most corals, try to get them to replace the hood, if your wary of the same style hood see if they'll offer one with different style lighting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store