Are Planted aquariums difficult to keep up?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jacksonverco

AC Members
Mar 17, 2020
US
jdmsportclassics.com
Real Name
Jackson Verco
Planted tanks are less work to keep up than regular aquariums, yet they require appropriate arranging. Extraordinary consideration ought to be paid to tank measurements, lighting, substrate, composts and decision of plant and fish species.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: Sprinkle

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Planted tanks are less work to keep up than regular aquariums, yet they require appropriate arranging. Extraordinary consideration ought to be paid to tank measurements, lighting, substrate, composts and decision of plant and fish species.
I agree, they are easy to care for as long as you are doising fertilizers, root tablets and CO2. However if you use carbon dioxide system, you will have to turn it off overnight as there is nothing to take out carbon dioxide from the water column and it will deplet water of O2.

Reactions: Amazoniantanklvr

Jacksonverco

AC Members
Mar 17, 2020
US
jdmsportclassics.com
Real Name
Jackson Verco
One way to avoid this is to keep fish that are compatible with a planted aquarium. Another way is to try to satisfy the fishes’ vegetable requirements by adding spirulina flakes, lettuce leaves, or pieces of zucchini to their diet. One or two fast growing plants can keep the pressure off the more slow growing plants. Often plant eating fish prefer fast growing plants because their leaves are more tender and in some cases even are able to grow back faster then the punishment they get from the fish.

Well fed fish (adding “green food”, not quantity) and well growing plants will keep the damage to a limit.

Inspecting the plant will sometimes tell about adjustment requirements. Deformation or color changes in the leaves indicate a change in temperature or light. Brown patches or white grains around the stem indicate a water problem.

The lighter the green of the leaves the greater the rate of oxygenation, faster the growth rate , higher the requirement for nutrients and minerals .

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Get some apple snails if you want a challenge keeping a planted tank :)

I had a whole handful of salvinia one day. Woke the next morning to not a trace. Like magic.

I wont even mention the swordplant

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
good riddance to bad swordplants!!!

?

• Haha
Reactions: NoodleCats

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
This might me want to like snails.

But I learned my lesson, I'll only keep chain swords now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store