Asking people who have had success in keeping cardinal tetras.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dereks

AC Members
Mar 7, 2006
If you've been successful in keeping cardinals I'm curious as to how often and what % water change you do.

What temp do you keep the water?

Did you match the PH to what the breeder used of did you use whatever your tap is, or both?

Thanks

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Cardinals don't need more water changes as other fish. Just keep the pH at 7,5 or lower for the long term.
Wild caught cardinals are much hardier as the farmed ones. It's just that almost all wholesalers switched to farmed ones in the 2010's once Indonesia sold them for less as they did in Brazil.

Last edited:
Reactions: dereks

dereks

AC Members
Mar 7, 2006
Thanks. I've had bad luck with them and trying to think of everything this time.

The first time I think the bright lights stressed them out.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I have had Cardinal tetras for many years. They live about 8-10 years before I have to replenish. Nothing special, I change water once a week. My PH is 6.8 (I have CO2). IMO food is important. My fishes eat 60% frozen and live worms about once a week.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've always read that cardinals are easier to keep than neon tetras. They thrive in more tropical warm water temps, where neons do better in cooler water.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've seen that cardinals are happier at a higher temp & grow slightly larger than neons. Cards like upper 70s-low 80s; neons lower 70s. Neons are more mass produced than cardinals AFAIK but both are now I think.

Water changes are always good!! There's no reason not do them as much & as often as you are willing.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
What percentage of the water do you take out?
I change about 50% weekly. When I get lazy, I may skip a week, but rarely.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've never seen cardinals for sale locally aside from one LFS that's long gone, although I'm sure you can get better ones through fish groups or mail order anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store