At last, after weeks of searching

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
After yet another fruitless search yesterday, I was out again today and decided to try the PetSmart across the road from my usual haunt just for kicks. Don't usually go there but figured hey I was already back in the area so might as well look just to leave no stones unturned.

To my utter surprise, I found them.

Black neon tetras, 20 strong and in good condition. Didn't let the opportunity slip me by and cleaned out the entire display tank.
IMG_20210308_141346623.jpg

As a bonus, in the adjacent tank there was one lone glowlight that kept desperately swimming towards the black neons for security so I decided to bring it along for the ride (it's just below the "grant" in the image).
IMG_20210308_141325691.jpg

Some pics of them swimming freely.
IMG_20210308_152029619.jpg
IMG_20210308_152036408.jpg

Once the quarantine period is finished I'll have my years-long dream of a massive mixed shoal of neons and black neons come to fruition. Today is a good day.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
LOL, that's cool you bought the glowlight, too, otherwise it probably would have ended up as the lone tetra in somebody's 10 gallon tank, never feeling quite secure and constantly hiding since it didn't have anything else to school with. I've done the same thing. Bought a single or a pair of tetras or cories that were the last of the store's stock and added them to a random school of another species. It usually works out pretty well for the individual or pair.

WYite

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
LOL, that's cool you bought the glowlight, too, otherwise it probably would have ended up as the lone tetra in somebody's 10 gallon tank, never feeling quite secure and constantly hiding since it didn't have anything else to school with. I've done the same thing. Bought a single or a pair of tetras or cories that were the last of the store's stock and added them to a random school of another species. It usually works out pretty well for the individual or pair.

WYite
Even a 10 gallon is being generous if we're being honest (ironically that's exactly what it's in right now, but only temporarily of course). After what I've seen lately from threads on Reddit of terrible aquariums it might've ended up in some awful Tik Shlock clip where someone stuffs the poor thing into a wine glass for a "tank."

But no, this little one is going to live out a life of luxury in a big roomy tank with dozens of other schooling fish to hang with. As things should be.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Good for you! Hope they're doing well!

I've got a marginally horrible recent PetSmart story. Rolled into the local PS for some cat litter last week. Had to do a quick browse the fish section as always.
They had albino corys and green corys for $3/ea. Poor decision making kicked in and I bought all they had which were 5 greens and 7 albinos. They were all very small. They didn't look spectacular, but didn't look on death's door either. I set them up in a 10gal QT. They all perked right up, were active, looked decent, exhibited normal cory behavior and ate like crazy. Until the next day..

They began dying one by one. I'm down to a single green.

I could have tried to save the tiny bodies and return them, but I didn't. The cost of stupidity..

• Sad
Reactions: Sprinkle

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
Yikes. Sorry to hear.

There's been no casualties thus far, but I'm obsessively doing roll calls. With the volume of fish in that amount of water even one carcass could prove disastrous.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store