Automatic water change

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
So I am moving into my house end of this month. House is ran off of a well so I was considering making my tanks run off of a automatic water change system. I run canisters on my filter so I was wondering what would be best way to drain tanks to sump? I was thinking some how taping off the inlet side of filter hose and then just have the return dropping it front top of tank.

Any input?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm not sure I get your new house set up. Do you mean some kind of all tanks drain to a sump system & then (pump?) drain to...where ever? Or maybe a permanent drain with stopcock on each tank to outdoors or floor drain? Either can work from what I've seen, but never done...sounds awesome either way...anything to make WCs easier on multiple tanks is great

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
So house is run off a well, and tanks will be in basement where I have a sump pump to pump any water out of house. So idea is to install drip system to the tanks, while at same time having the tanks drain into my sump pump. Determining how fast of a drip for both filling and draining is something I would have to test.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
You won't be able to match the inlet and outlet with a direct siphon.

To setup the drain, you need to drill the tanks and install a standpipe where the water can overflow into and drain.

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
Damn I was hoping to not drill and just tap off the inlet of canister hose lol.

How do I know if my tanks are drillable or not?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
What are your thoughts in regards to why you'd need/want a slow drip water change system? Is it so you don't pull a bunch of water at once out of your well? What size is your tank?

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
No I don't care about pulling a bunch of water out of well, j just see it as easier maintenance lol. That way I don't have to do weekly water changes since it will be changing water daily.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Nice! You've got a darn good well if it will support ~50% WCs on those 3 tanks at once. Regardless, having a great place to drain, like your sump pit is awesome. Install a clothes washer service somewhere near your tanks with the drain plumbed to the sump pit. A fill hose with a hot/cold "Y" connection on it. Good times. A guy can dream...

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
Yea my original thought was on each hose going from tank to filter I would tap off that and either connect it to a pvc pipe that will then go to my sump pit (won't be far from tanks at all). Then from my water source put a pressure fitting on that and connect a extra piece of PVC to then tap 3 outlets for the air line hose to connect to. Which would then go to each tank. That way I would be taking old water from bottom of tank and putting fresh new at top.

BUT if I can't do that and forced to drill tank, I will have to first make sure my tanks are all drillable.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store