Babies and Algae Eater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
this is going to be very quick for now. later i will reread and look for stuff i missed......

oto's ..... sounds like an ideal situation.... much better than cae's, just a little less sturdy. 2-3 of them is sort of alot, but they like to school sort of and the bio-impact should be minimal.

mollie

AC Members
Feb 13, 2002
Oz
Originally posted by wolfnature
Just out of curiousity, how do some other people handle their breeding tanks? Do you leave something in there all the time to keep the cycle going and then take it out when you get babies? Or do you leave it empty? This is my first batch of babies, and as you said kveeti, I'm sure I will have plenty more in the future.

On the breeding tank question, I don't use a tank for breeding, but have a quarantine tank, which causes the same questions. I just take out the filter and run it in one of my larger tanks, the rest gets packed away. When I need the tank, I take the filter out, fill with water from the tank it was in and add the heater.

Cichlid Woman

Dwarf cichlids rule ...
Nov 27, 2002
central Illinois
Visit site
About the algae--if you're talking about the green stuff on the glass that can be wiped off when you do a water change, that's normal for a healthy lighted tank. We all get it, I think (correct me if I'm wrong, guys).

Get an algae scrubber at your lfs--it does not have to be one of the fancy, expensive ones. I use a rectangular sponge type; mine's dark green, and they also come in white. You just take it and wipe down the inside glass to remove the algae when you do a partial water change. Just be sure you don't use a sponge you bought at a grocery store or anywhere else. They're usually treated with chemicals that are bad for your fish; be sure you use one that you got at an lfs. They don't cost much.

They work great, too, except for the time I got lazy and waited too long for a partial water change. By that time, the green stuff on the glass had had time to set up, and it took more rubbing with the sponge to get it off.

Also ... live plants will keep down your algae! The more the better, and you will not believe what they do for the looks of your tank. The fish love 'em, too. Something to consider?

-- Pat

wetmanNY

AC Members
Cichlid Woman zeroes to the heart of the matter! You're the best algae cleaner for the glass.

But algae is good eating for swordtail fry. Aren't they picking at it all day long?

I'd add Java Moss. Can you get some from the LFS or a friend? Lots of us have plenty. Loose tangles of Java Moss compete with algae, and fry pick the mini critters off its strands.

Otos aren't really happy in an unplanted tank. They need a dense jungle and some extra greens, like spinach. Watch your adult swordtails tear into a little boiled spinach too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store