Babies on Board?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

trybry5

AC Members
Oct 15, 2003
NE
www.aquabid.com
Today, I thought. I saw tiny bit's of Styrofoam floating in the water column.

Then I notice on was wriggling like Brine Shrimp. So, I turned off the filtration and circulation equip.

What I found were tiny white triangles moving towards the lamps without an ability to accurately control their movements.

What are these babies, who tend to tumble more than swim and frolic near the surface as they try to stay near the lamps?

I have a lot of egg masses all over the tank, I think they are coming from the Nerite snails. But I can't be sure.

They are larger than brine shrimp.
They have a triangular shape.
They are completely white
and like the top of the tank.

The other tank mates are:

10 Nerite Snails (Caribbean) (already mentioned)
10 Nassarious Snails (small)
4 Bumble Bee Shrimp
2 Bumble Bee Snails
2 Scarlet Reef Hermits
2 Blue Legged Hermits
Cerinth Snails (2 Mexican 2 Caribbean)

Forgive my spelling regarding the Tank mates names.

I'd just like to know what they might be (too small to take a photo).
But, I can get a clear photo, of the other snail egg masses (possible Nerite)

The Bumble Bee Shrimp are going crazy trying to get a prime fishing spot.
So are the other members of the clean-up crew.
It was like I added food, for a feeding.

Thanks in advance for any ideas on what they could be.

trybry5

AC Members
Oct 15, 2003
NE
www.aquabid.com
When I returned to get the egg casing pic's. The numbers went from 20 to 30 to close to 100. They don't show well in the photo's, but looks like someone is mixing soap powder or crystals in the water.

I also got a pic of a pesky little starfish shaped creature, that follows Copedpods on the glass. I see the pods disappear, so they must be eating them.

Well here's the pic's, the un-identified babies or larva are the blurry circles.
Sorry my photog skill are lacking with this camera so far.

babies on board IMG_0490.jpg Egg Casings IMG_0483.jpg larva from fram of video.jpg Pod preditor IMG_0487.jpg

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Did your Bumblebee Shrimp mate?
According to this page, their would have been orange / red eggs initially that fade to a grey color. Notice anything like that on your female shrimp recently?

trybry5

AC Members
Oct 15, 2003
NE
www.aquabid.com
I have 4 Bumbles,

Only one guy, I guess. They are usually the small guy (and a lucky one).

The Ladies show up on occasion, but I never see all 4, at anyone time.
So I guess one, could have been prego's.

I've seen two molts and one the day before the larva bloom.

Lucky for me, I changed the filter media, a few hours before the bloom.
But the Larva, love the lights and the current is strong there.

At last check 8pm, their numbers have dropped. Hopefully they've found nooks and crannies to grow and forage in.

These guys are triangular in shape, white and if they pumped or jittered to swim, I'd say they were Jellies or Brine Shrimp. Since they don't, I wonder who they really are.

Would love to have new Bumbles, since they are suppose to only live for 15 months.

Wish I had seen them on the underside of her tail. But she did have a bulge on her side for a while last month.

Thanks for the suggestion. (Sorry for the slow reply, this alert went to Spam mail for some reason).

Here's hoping for the best.

trybry5

AC Members
Oct 15, 2003
NE
www.aquabid.com
ok,

Today, while checking my rescue tank (general marine post - a Groan, no aquarist should hear).

It's a zig zag type creature, bouncing along the water surface. it has two black (..) for eyes and seems to be swimming upside down, searching for flaked food.

The skid-dish behavior, is similar to how shrimp move quickly, backwards and forwards. With that bouncy, bumble bee swimming motion.

I'll almost bet, it's them.

I probably lost a dozen or so, during the crisis.

Too bad,

I would have had a great fathers day story, instead of a sad one.

Hopefully, they will survive in a less friendly rescue tank.

Case almost, closed.

trybry5

AC Members
Oct 15, 2003
NE
www.aquabid.com
More babies sighted,

These aren't bumble bee's, they are Nassarius or more likely Nerite Snails. They are light purple and lager than copedpods. The swim with a long wiggly tail along the surface of the water.

Nice to see, life carry on in the rescue tank (see post: A groan no Aquarist should hear)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store