Baby Betta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MJMac

AC Members
Jan 29, 2018
Hello,
I recently purchased a baby betta at Petsmart. I know...but when I saw her, I knew I had to save her. I just lost my @2 year old male betta who was so over bred that his finnage was so heavy he could not keep himself afloat. I had to build him a "hill" in his tank so that he would be near the top of the water. It was sad watching him struggle that last days of his life.

Anyway...my new betta, Ruby, is a baby - probably a veil tail from what I can tell. We have had her about a week now and she seems to be doing well. She is in our 10 gal, cycled and heated tank. Keeping the temp at around 82 degrees. Water values are good - ammonia @ 0, nitrites @ 0 & nitrates </= 10. I am feeding her frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms & hikari mini pellets (crushed up). My best guess is Ruby is now about 7 weeks old based on size charting I can find on the internet.

Tank is lightly planted with water wisteria (about 6 plants), anbuis (one large & one mini), 3 wentis and I java fern.

I have a couple of questions:

How often should I feed Ruby. I can't really find any definitive information on when to change feeding habits from several times a day to 2 times per day.

Also...my water wisteria seems to be rotting at the bottom. Due I need more light? I currently have one Fluval nano 9000K 6.5 watts light. The light says it puts out 290 lumens.

Her is a picture of Ruby when we got her at week ago. She is very busy in her new environment and it is hard for me to get a good pic of her. IMG_20180127_135622.jpg IMG_20180126_085757.jpg

Thank you for any advice you might have!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
It's not uncommon to feed fry and very young fish several times per day, but I wouldn't feed your betta more than once per day.

I love female bettas. You can keep them in "sororities". I had 4 of them in my community 55g tank. They do squabble and shove each other around, but with enough room and decor, they're good to go.

MJMac

AC Members
Jan 29, 2018
It's not uncommon to feed fry and very young fish several times per day, but I wouldn't feed your betta more than once per day.

I love female bettas. You can keep them in "sororities". I had 4 of them in my community 55g tank. They do squabble and shove each other around, but with enough room and decor, they're good to go.
Wow...guess I have been overfeeding this little girl. No wonder she comes up to the glass every time I am near. I have been feeding her 3x per day. typically, I feed 1 pellet crushed 2x day and 2 frozen brine shrimp 1x day. I alternate one feeding w/ frozen bloodworms about every 3 day (2 worms).

And thank you about the note on the sorority. I have read that. Not sure I am up for that right now. She is in our living room and very much a part of life there.

How much should I feed her and is once a day better than smaller meals twice a day?

Thanks for your help.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
For fry and juveniles, small feedings a couple times a day are ok so long as all the food is eaten. Once she's about half adult size, I'd reduce the to once a day.

MJMac

AC Members
Jan 29, 2018
Okay. Thanks...no problem there. I only give her a little and she consumes it all, eagerly taking it right out of my hand!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Pretty girl! How much & how often do you change water in her tank? Young fish thrive on lots of clean water even if your parameters are good. Twice a day feedings are good for now too, but gradually cut back as she grows: 1 bloodworm, not 2 (as a treat); 1 or 2 bits of a of pellet, etc. You don't want her to get fat, bettas can be prone to that.

MJMac

AC Members
Jan 29, 2018
I am doing a PWC @ 25% every 3 - 4 days. I have already cut back to 2x day feedings and she seems to be adjusting. She is very active, rarely still and I don't think she is chunky, but I will certainly heed the warning.

Thank you!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store