Baby bristlenose pleco?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
So you know that conversation in another thread about how I'll want to rehome a male BN before it starts breeding with my female? Well, looks like I was already too late. Was looking over my setup and I noticed this tiny little fish clinging to the back of the tank wall.
IMG_20210308_185511381.jpg
IMG_20210308_185900491.jpg
Can't really be anything else as there's no other suckermouth fish in the tank. Definitely explains why the male's been digging so much... Haven't seen any other babies but I'm just baffled this even happened already.

Reactions: dudley

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Congratulations!

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
That's definitely what it is. Seen more than my share, to the point they were more pests than welcome additions to the family. Congratulations.

WYite

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Congrats! Pleco fry are super cute! Do I get to say I told you so? :D Just a fry or so...that you see so far...next time there will be more!

Next time you're in your local non-chain shops, ask about if & at what size they might take any fry. How many? Cash or store credit? This is part of the "make a plan" I was talking about.

Is the female yellow too? or maybe she carries the gene for that? If so, there will be a % that may be yellow (gold, lemon, whatever). Look at a Mendel's inheritance chart, I think yellow is a recessive trait...so you'll maybe get 25% yellow, 50% that look normal brown but carry the yellow gene & 25% that don't...Biology class basics if I remember right...but yellow fry might command a higher price & might be worth growing out a while. Can't you put your QT in your bedroom so the parent's don't complain much? ( o_O evil laugh) You know we're all enablers her, with a bit of reality checks...

Reactions: Wyomingite

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Congrats! Pleco fry are super cute! Do I get to say I told you so? :D Just a fry or so...that you see so far...next time there will be more!

Next time you're in your local non-chain shops, ask about if & at what size they might take any fry. How many? Cash or store credit? This is part of the "make a plan" I was talking about.

Is the female yellow too? or maybe she carries the gene for that? If so, there will be a % that may be yellow (gold, lemon, whatever). Look at a Mendel's inheritance chart, I think yellow is a recessive trait...so you'll maybe get 25% yellow, 50% that look normal brown but carry the yellow gene & 25% that don't...Biology class basics if I remember right...but yellow fry might command a higher price & might be worth growing out a while. Can't you put your QT in your bedroom so the parent's don't complain much? ( o_O evil laugh) You know we're all enablers her, with a bit of reality checks...
Snagrio is pretty good at deflecting the enabling. I've made various recommendations requiring the addition of a tank, and he just says, "I can't do that right now." (sigh). ?

WYite

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yes, s/he is good at that...we'll have to keep up the enabling when there might be cash involved. The stakes are raised, lol...& what parent can resist the lessons that may be learned from that? Biology & economics, time management... (no, I never had kids, can you tell?)

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020

It looks brown to me. The male is a plain albino and the female is a "wild type" brown from what I see, none of the fancier varieties I've been seeing lately. Though now idk what to do about the male. I haven't checked to see if he's guarding a batch of eggs yet or something but considering how many fish will eventually be in this setup in total (the schools of tetras alone will be just shy of 50) I'd like to avoid a population explosion if possible.

And the QT is actually in the basement anyway, very out of sight. But it's right next to my lair computer area so I see it very often.
Snagrio is pretty good at deflecting the enabling. I've made various recommendations requiring the addition of a tank, and he just says, "I can't do that right now." (sigh). ?

WYite
It's literally not my choice to make. Trust me, I'd LOVE to not have the 55 gallon I upgraded from sitting around empty doing nothing (especially as I've been having the worst luck selling it off, I got one interested reply and they only wanted the tank by itself which would've left me with a useless stand and all the old supplies I don't need). But when you have a mother who's firm on something, you do not challenge that.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Your male looks more yellow than albino to me, are you sure? (maybe a pics effect?)

...& you know we're just teasing you in a nice way, that's how we sometimes roll here. It means we like you & want to help...even it means no enabling allowed...apparently there are different kinds of parents...My mother made me get rid of my houseplants because, Eww, they live in dirt, lol...So I do get it...

Spring may be a better time to try & sell your 55g, almost there. Covid & winter make for a hard sell. Are there Mom time limits to selling?

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
Your male looks more yellow than albino to me, are you sure? (maybe a pics effect?)
Here's what he looks like again if it helps. Characteristic bright red eyes of an albino.
IMG_20210204_155323304.jpg
IMG_20210204_165047551.jpg

And the female for good measure.
IMG_20210220_194820116.jpg
IMG_20210204_155314742.jpg

...& you know we're just teasing you in a nice way, that's how we sometimes roll here. It means we like you & want to help...even it means no enabling allowed...apparently there are different kinds of parents...My mother made me get rid of my houseplants because, Eww, they live in dirt, lol...So I do get it...
Nah I get it, I'm not mad or anything. Maybe just a little frustrated with the temptations that I already hold internally and have to ignore lol.

Spring may be a better time to try & sell your 55g, almost there. Covid & winter make for a hard sell. Are there Mom time limits to selling?
Kind of? We'd like to get it out of the house before the end of the month as we have family over then and she'll want to move the furniture she wants to move before that (basically to make room for the new tank a bunch of things got shuffled around and one piece needs to go where the old tank is). But it's not necessarily do or die either as, if push comes to shove, it can just go sit in the basement.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store