• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Lots of things can be carcinogenic, especially in California ;) maybe in the UK too? It can also depend on dosage, length of exposure etc. Other than some inverts (some kinds of shrimp I think) I haven't read of it "harming stock" if dosed correctly. I've only used it to combat some forms of algae in the shorter term in 1 tank, no animals seemed harmed...not even pond & MTS snails.

There are many, many drugs, fish treatments, disinfectants that I certainly wouldn't ingest or apply topically indiscriminately long term but I've know many (mostly plant clubbers) that use glut regularly without any ill effects I've ever heard of. I've occasionally used "toxic" dyes to treat ich...My animals were saved by not dying of ich (short term cure vs carcinogenic risk long term?)...Tell me more please!

You know there's an old saying about dropping a "toxic" amount a given substance (sugar, salt & many, many others) on a rats head will kill them faster than overdosing them for a loonngg time. Be careful of all encompassing alarmist statements like "cancer causing"; it's relative in many ways...

My husband is a medicinal chemist & we take our drug science very seriously here :) ...be careful of scientifically unsupported statements...Do you have good factual supporting studies? I'll take them with a grain of salt until I read them, lol...

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Lots of things can be carcinogenic, especially in California ;) maybe in the UK too? It can also depend on dosage, length of exposure etc. Other than some inverts (some kinds of shrimp I think) I haven't read of it "harming stock" if dosed correctly. I've only used it to combat some forms of algae in the shorter term in 1 tank, no animals seemed harmed...not even pond & MTS snails.
Exclel is still toxic to stock, even when dosed properly. It has smaller dose, it still harms stock, but slower.
I honestly don't know what's a cracinogenic in the UK lol

CichlidFins

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Real Name
Jay
Seachem claims excel is not gluca-hydro whatever its called that people say it is. Seachem says that the ingredient is Polycycloglutaracetal , which is an isomeric form of glutaraldehyde...apparently however it is less reactive and more easily utilized by plants as a carbon source, and apparently more safe to humans.

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Seachem claims excel is not gluca-hydro whatever its called that people say it is. Seachem says that the ingredient is Polycycloglutaracetal , which is an isomeric form of glutaraldehyde...apparently however it is less reactive and more easily utilized by plants as a carbon source, and apparently more safe to humans.
But harmful to stock and plants, it is known to melt most of plants and harming stock in the tank.

CichlidFins

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Real Name
Jay
I haven't had those experiences before. And I used glutaraldehyde on a daily basis before. I never saw any effects of it, and it never melted my vals.

CichlidFins

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Real Name
Jay
The right dose is created to harm stock at a slower pace. Poor fish.
I can guarantee you that thats not what the product was created and intended for. Can you at least back up your claims? I have never seen a SINGLE case of glut poisoning in a freshwater aquarium.

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
I can guarantee you that thats not what the product was created and intended for. Can you at least back up your claims? I have never seen a SINGLE case of glut poisoning in a freshwater aquarium.
Never use Excel in an aquarium with fish. For one thing, it is not needed, but the detrimental effect of adding this sort of toxic disinfectant is a serious risk. I know there are people on this forum who will say they use it with no harm to the fish, but unless they are trained biologists that can perform a necropsy on a fish to back this up, it is impossible to assume it is "safe." Splash some on your skin and it will burn. That is not "safe" for fish.
Flourish Excel (and most other so-called "liquid carbon" supplements) so presumably not. However, one must always realize that additives to the tank water will get inside the fish, and none of them are beneficial to fish. Minimum additives will always result in less-stressed fish which should translate into healthier fish.
Several people reported having burns if this splashed on their skin. This has no place in an aquarium.

CichlidFins

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Real Name
Jay
I mean if you want i can take a syringe and squirt it on my bare skin. Also be aware that carbon additives aren't 100% glut, they are very diluted and serve as algaecide.

I still have no papers or reports backing what you said up. Those are fairly big claims and I am really wanting to see some evidence of this happening.

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
I mean if you want i can take a syringe and squirt it on my bare skin. Also be aware that carbon additives aren't 100% glut, they are very diluted and serve as algaecide.

I still have no papers or reports backing what you said up. Those are fairly big claims and I am really wanting to see some evidence of this happening.
Maybe not, but I was just saying what they said on another forums.
Never mind, I'm gonna be on my side.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store