Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Balanced tank with a lot of plants

Discussion in 'Planted Aquariums' started by lam4305, May 12, 2009.

1. lam4305

lam4305 Registered Member

Sep 22, 2009
    I have been trying to set up a tank in which the plants can take up all the wastes of my fish. It seems to be working now. There has been no water change for 8 months and the fish seems doing fine. Below is a picture taken two months ago. I have read before that an awful lot of plants are required to support a reasonable fish load, but I cannot find the mention of the actual amount needed. So here is my experience which may be interesting for others who wants a more balanced aquarium. My tank is 22 liters with 16 small fish like tetras, 6 cherry shrimps and many small snails. I feed my fish once everyday. It is heavily planted inside. More importantly, I opened the cover of the filter on top of the aquarium and grow from the ceramic rings there a few long branches of pothos, which have a total length of roughly 10 meters. There is no other filter medium besides the rings and the plant roots. The whole thing is about 5 meters from the window but the pothos still get some sunlight late in the afternoon. The nitrate level is around 40 ppm and I can not lower it any further. So, it really takes a lot of plants to consume all the fish wastes even for my small tank. I am lucky to have somewhere to hang them all.

090308_102917.jpg

2. DSR

DSR AC Members

Aug 31, 2009
    wow. that's all I can say 'bout that... really nice. I am assuming that either you are a teacher or just a big fan of math (going with the former assumption...) I bet your kids love that tank.

3. BettaFishMommy

BettaFishMommy finkids make me happy :-)

Sherry N.
    Nov 21, 2017
    Sherry N.
    very nice lil planted tank! and i love the vines.

i would wonder about the no water change for 8 months thing. aren't you concerned that various minerals, etc are not being replenished as would normally happen with a water change?

4. kalabreeze

kalabreeze AC Members

Jul 30, 2010
    Looking great! I like the idea of balanced aquarium but I think I would be too chicken not to change water in my aquarium for 8 months. Do you add any plant fertilizers?

5. Wycco

Wycco Eat more pine trees

Kim Jong Il
    Feb 13, 2015
    Kim Jong Il
    If you do start doing water changes any time- you'd probably need to start off small not to kill the fish.

6. lam4305

lam4305 Registered Member

Sep 22, 2009
    I dose seachem flourish and excel. Together with the fish food, I hope that's sufficient. The pothos and my easy-to-grow aquatic plants thrives. But my lucky bamboos stopped growing recently and I wonder if it is because of the lack of minerals.

7. coach_z

coach_z AC Members

Chris
    Nov 19, 2013
    Chris
    lucky bamboo is not an aquatic plant and will eventually die and then rot which will cause you to have to change your water.

my main concern is the TDS that may build up in your tank

8. gmh

gmh AC Members

Oct 19, 2016
    That is a great setup you have. But I would still do a small water change every week.

9. coach_z

coach_z AC Members

Chris
    Nov 19, 2013
    Chris
    sorry - if the bamboo leaves are out of the water it can be ok

10. kalabreeze

kalabreeze AC Members

Jul 30, 2010
    BTW, what water do you use to top it off? Tap or RO?