Basic tank/sump plumbing advice needed

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cksnffr

AC Members
Aug 5, 2013
My 200-gallon setup is going to consist of the following:

Deep-Sea Aquatics 200 with one large central overflow that has three drains and two returns
40B sump with two inputs into two filter socks
In-sump skimmer
Single return pump

What's the best way to get from three drains into two sump inputs? Use only two drains? Combine two of them somehow?
Similarly, what's the best way to get from one return pump into two tank returns?
Which parts should be hard-plumbed and which should be soft?

Thanks!

PhxFish

AC Members
Oct 12, 2013
My limited understanding of tank/sump design is to use soft on the return(s) to ensure minimal head loss from the pump.

As far as the drains, as you outlined, two drains into two socks at one drain per. I would consider using the third drain as an emergency overflow that drains directly into the return section of your sump. I've seen it done this way on a few of the videos I have watched and will probably do it the same way myself.

Good luck with your build and get pictures asap!!! I want to live vicariously through everyones tanks till I get my own going, sometime in the next decade....

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I need to see the overflow box but that sounds like a dream setup for a beananimal drain. Certainly a herbie drain. What size are the drains and are the holes in the bottom or back of the tank? Everything should be hard plumbed IMO.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Ok, so 3 x 1" drains and 2 x 3/4" returns. Its all going to come down to what noise level you are willing to tolerate and how much water you want to move through the drain/sump. Typically you're looking at 4 to 8 times turnover through the sump as that is what most appropriately sized skimmers will be able to process. This turnover rate can vary depending on what you are keeping livestock wise. Example: Maybe you want to keep a lot of news and are trying to keep propeller style powerheads out of the tank. In that case, you may want to up the flow coming from the return.

Noise wise, a lower end return flow rate will result in a quieter drain. Especially with 3 durso (what was pictured and what I assume will come with the tank), a 6'ish times turnover should not be crazy loud. If you want a quiet and non-turbulent flow through the sump, google "beananimal drain". Essentially, 1 drain is operating on a full siphon (no air in the drain), while the other 2 operate as a siphon and emergency drain should the dull siphon drain ever get clogged. Virtually silent drain that is very safe and also moves a ton of water. A "herbie drain" works similarly but only uses 2 drains (1 full siphon and 1 emergency). Neither of these are complicated. Once you see some diagrams, you'll understand. All that said, I would probably try the 3 durso system at a lower flow and plan on upping the powerhead flow.

Very nice tank indeed!

Edit: Keep in mind that the turnover rate should account for rock displacement. A 200 gallon tank full of rock probably holds 140 gallons of water. Add to that 25 to 30 gallons in a sump, and your probably gonna be just under 200 gallons total in the system.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store