"Beard Algae" on Drift Wood

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

midiamin

MidiAmin
Jan 29, 2005
San Francisco
Actually it sounds like your more interested in keeping the AE than getting rid of the BA. Remember these fish will take other forms of food so be sure to feed enough. If you are just interested in getting rid of the BA, take the wood out of the tank and leave it in the sun for 2-3 days or put it in a black plastic bag for 2-3 days. Dry it out or no light - will kill it.

gvildawg

AC Members
Mar 6, 2007
Greenville, SC
www.myspace.com
I did the prime spraying this weekend. I can confirm it wiped it out.

gvildawg

AC Members
Mar 6, 2007
Greenville, SC
www.myspace.com
Sorry. In my case I mean Excel spraying. Seachem Excel is a sort of plant fertilizer that has the added bonus of being an algae controller.

clogstonian

AC Members
Apr 3, 2007
Seattle
not to rain on the parade but once it's in your water column you have it forever, one can only control it, as soon as the conditions are right . . .

good luck to you

gvildawg

AC Members
Mar 6, 2007
Greenville, SC
www.myspace.com
Yes, I know that it can't be eliminated, only controlled. I plan on adding some American Flag Fish to help control it as well.

Hammy & Waf

fishaholics
Nov 8, 2007
columbus, oh
we had a pretty bad case of 'beard algae' too, but i never took anything out of my tank. all i did was start dosing every day with excel, it took a little while, but it finally started turning purple on the tips, then it turned green and our sae's, our oto's and our shrimp, even our platys, started eating what was left over. we only have 2 sae's in our tank and they seem very happy, they swim around and hang out together. good luck.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
i had a horrible case of it in my 46 bow, it was on all decorations, plants, and even my filter intake, i got a few amanos and 15 cherry shrimp from beviking and they bred and cleaned it all out, yea! hurray for the shrimp.. first they mowed it like a lawn or a fresh hair cut then they kept picking till nothing remained.. this was the black kind some cal it beard some call it brush not shur which it is but it was blackish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store