Beginner question: What are Nitrites and Nitrates?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Andy16

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Wisconsin
Visit site
well... i dont know if this is what you are asking but nitrite is fish waste and then eventually nitrite turns into nitrate which is a less toxic form of nitrite but should be kept at a minumal level. dont know if im right but im pretty sure i am. finnaly sopme one asked a question i could answer. i just wasted this because i thoguht some was asking a question instead tehy wanted a link for something they already knew. im about to break out in tears of sadness:(

wetmanNY

AC Members
Aw, Andy, you know that what the fish excrete as waste is ammonia. But you're right about toxic nitrite being turned to nitrate by bacteria. The more times I read this stuff the clearer it gets in my head.

Thanks for the clean link RTR. Duly inserted in 2003's www.skepticalaquarist.com --soon to be uploaded.

There are some soft spots in that nitrogen article... maybe what I like best is the epigraph from Lavoisier.

Does anyone else have favored explanations of the nitrogen cycle that are on the web?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store