Best clip on light for nano planted tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
If you're following this thread https://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/threads/betta-tank-for-friend.290712/#post-2969462 you'll know I'm brain storming a tank for my friend. She want's it to be a planted tank and a most lights are too big/long. It seems that a clip on light will be the best option. This will be a budget build so nothing that expensive. Also, if you know of a kit with a decent grow light that's bigger than 5 gallons and isn't too expensive (<80) please tell.

I have had a look at the aqueon clp on plant light and it looks good but it doesn't have red LEDs. I'll see if she has the budget for a fluval flex 'cause it has good lighting and is a decent size.

Thanks.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Why does it have to be clip on?

I would really work out the tank that will be used before choosing a light, depth and shape will matter.

Reactions: CichlidFins

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
It doesn't have to be clip on but it has to be small.

We're still throwing ideas around. I still haven't got the space it needs to fit in yet. Anything for a 4-10 gal. Or maybe a 15 column but I doubt it.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
It doesn't need red leds. Lumens are important but rarely specified on leds. It can be deduced from watts though.

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
I sorta knew that but it just seem better for plant growth. How many watts/lumes per gallon is a good mid/low light tank?

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Depending on the height of the tank of course, but for a 5 gallon that won't be an issue.
For a 5 gal you will want something around 500 Lumen. It roughly translates to 5 to 10 Watts depending on the efficacy of the leds.
Note that over powering is not automatically better. More light puts the plants in higher gear and you will need more CO2 and nitrogen to prevent algae growth.
If you care about natural looking colors take 6500K as temperature.

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
Of course.
thanks
I aware of that. Although I have the exact opposite issue in my tank right now. Time to upgrade! lol
hhm. Well I know some people who don't like it. Im upgrading to an 8000 but I'll keep that in mid. thanks.

I assume that you would need at least some blue lights or would a all white still work? (it doesn't work for me).

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Not sure what you mean... 8000K is better (if the CRI is still over 90)
No red or blue lights are necessary at all. That is a modern fad.

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
Not sure what you mean... 8000K is better (if the CRI is still over 90)
No red or blue lights are necessary at all. That is a modern fad.
Sorry. mid = mind. What is CRI? I meant I'm upgrading to a 8000k light soon. That's it. :)
Really? Cool, thanks. I'll try to encourage her to a fluval flex. So for the lighting on that the white would be enough? Sorry for all the questions.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
You're welcome with questions.. .
CRI=Color Rendering Index: how naturally the colors appear. Higher as 90 is good (max is 100)
Is the new 8000K light a led?
For low to medium light plants the temperature and CRI is not important. Until the 70's, early 80's even, incandescent bulbs were still used to grow aquarium plants. Fluorescent bulbs back then had low temperatures, with low CRI's. It doesn't look good in the aquarium, but you can have great plant growth with it. Red and blue leds are a fad taken over from folks who grow pot in their basement. You absolutely don't need it. White light consists of all colors, called a spectrum. When you have daylight temperatures (6500 or 8000) with a good CRI all colors are already in that light, or it wouldn't look natural.
Still, you could go to the hardware store and buy the cheapest fluorescents to grow aquarium plants. It will make the water look like apple juice, and all the colors are flat, but you can have good plant growth with it. Some of my tanks have Leds they are all white.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store