Best Fancy Goldfish diet

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Strider

AC Members
Jul 13, 2001
Moscow, ID, USA
I was wondering what everyone likes to feed their goldfish. I've been feeding mine a slow sinking pellet and wondered what else I could give them to improve their diet.

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
I think that with anything, including fish, that variety is the key. I feed my oranda a mixture of floating flake, bloodworms, and sinking shrimp pellets. I only feed every two days, and only use one food type at a time, and my little guy is growing like wildfire! Others may have other opinions, though.

Fisher Price

AC Members
Dec 5, 2002
Visit site
I rotate the feedings. In the morning its tropical staple flakes. In the evening its golfish pellets with color enhancer. Ocassionaly they will get a cut up earthworm or some unhuled cooked peas for a treat.

val

Oct 18, 2002
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Veggies are good. I give mine blanched peas once - twice a week. Take fozen peas, boil them for a minute or two, take the shell off and mince. The peas will sink to the bottom, but you'll find your GF will eat them up. You can also take a lettuce or spinach leaf and put them in the tank. Others have recommended boiling the leaves for 30 seconds, but mine seem to prefer them fresh. You can also put in slice of zucchini or squash that has been lightly boiled.

Val

val

Oct 18, 2002
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Hey Freak...

I still haven't tried that food yet, although I do plan to, at some point. I got a good sounding recipe from MightyQueen last month and still haven't tried that, mostly because it looks like it'll make a ton of food (and if I try to put any more food into my freezer, my wife will kill me....). I'll let you know when I do get that food, though...

Val

Shay

AC Members
Dec 28, 2002
Visit site
I have never tried the Pro-Gold, but have fed Shogold, which is what gf connection used to offer. I've always had healthy fish, but have had some color loss problems as I mentioned in another thread, though I do not think these problems were at all diet related.

The fastest growing, most active goldfish I ever had was a telescope who had a voracious appetite for greens. I would put duckweed on top of the water and let the filter push it down beneath the surface where he would chase and eat it. The duckweed is great because it will never spoil in the tank. I've had other fish ignore it, however.

-Shay

avoxo

FORE!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 25, 2003
North Providence, RI
Visit site
Hi Strider, like everyone said variety in food is important. I have 10 different foods that I feed plus 2 medicated ones and I feed peas, carrots, all kinds of lettuce, collard greens........ the list goes on and on. Do not be afraid to try different thing.

I use Pro-Gold because you do not have to soak it first, and the fish love it. Great stuff highly recommended.
Xoavo

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store