Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Best Fish You've Kept

Discussion in 'General Freshwater' started by Reido Dorito, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Reido Dorito

Reido Dorito AC Members

Reid
    Yesterday at 2:59 AM
    Reid
    Just thought I'd create a thread for sharing stories about our best fish, if that's not too weird.

I used to have a comet goldfish (my first real pet, actually), who was purchased from a feeder tank in a Walmart. He survived through all kinds of just awful, awful mistakes, and was the absolute hardiest fish I've ever seen. He lived for a happy eight years before his unfortunate passing. He'll always be one of my favorite fish. Seriously, though, that fish was indestructible. He was put into an uncycled tank (I was six, and my parents didn't know any better; we learned as we went), actually swam in soap due to a horrible accident (don't worry, that was within his first year with me), lived in a tank with no plants, and even lived in a 6.5 gallon, at one point. He had an amazingly long life, given his tank size and breed. He might not be the most long-lived, but he was definitely a little toughie. I wish I could have done more for him, now that I know more about his requirements.

If you have the means, the space, and the love, get one.

2. ustabefast

ustabefast AC Members

Gregg
    Wednesday at 8:21 AM
    Gregg
    I once had a hyper-aggressive little Endler's livebearer male. It would stalk and kill all other males in the tank, one by one. Never seen anything like it before or since from one of these guys.
    Anyhow, this is the only fish I have ever resorted to flushing down the toilet, and I still cringe that I did that.
    However, an hour or two after doing this, I returned to the bathroom and to my shock, the little terror was actively swimming around the bowl!

3. OrionGirl

OrionGirl No freelancing!

Sheila
    Yesterday at 2:44 PM
    Sheila
    Not an individual fish, but white clouds are among my all time favorites. They're lovely, active, peaceful. Just really great fish.

ustabefast likes this.
  4. SomethingFishy

SomethingFishy AC Members

Virginia
    Jul 9, 2018
    Virginia
    Years ago I had a pleco many times when I fed the other fish, he would come to the top, turn upside down, and suck the fish food from the surface. I tried telling him he was supposed to be a bottom feeder, but he didn't listen. I always got a kick out of it, and I've not seen one do that since.

5. Reido Dorito

Reido Dorito AC Members

Reid
    Yesterday at 2:59 AM
    Reid
    Wow. That Endler's sounds like an abomination. Amazing that he survived a toilet, and proceeded to stay there for around an hour, but a little monster nonetheless. =D

Yeah, I've heard about white clouds before. They sound like wonderful fish! I'd love to get some sometime in the future.

You know, I've never heard of a pleco that ever came to the top, let alone one that came to the top for feeding time. What a funny fish!

6. FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh Global Moderator
    Staff Member

Joel
    Yesterday at 11:46 AM
    Joel
    Good to hear that little endler didn't encounter any worms dangling above him..

Seriously though, that's a disturbing but funny story.

Favorite fish for me? I really don't have a single fav at this point. Plenty I do enjoy and some I can do without..

7. DefJ123

DefJ123 AC Members

Yesterday at 8:48 PM
    My old red crown tail betta. Hardiest fish Ive ever had. Had him for quite some years, not sure how long. He got me into aquarium keeping in the first place.

He ended up in my old 30g community and got along great with everything in it. Was there for over a year before he finally passed away.

8. OrionGirl

OrionGirl No freelancing!

Sheila
    Yesterday at 2:44 PM
    Sheila
    I have a longfin blue eye that does that, but only for certain foods. If he notices that I'm watching he swims off and acts like he was NOT just looking like a cloud at the top of the tank.

9. Renegade Aquatics

Renegade Aquatics AC Members

Spencer
    Yesterday at 1:54 PM
    Spencer
    Pimelodus pictus are one my personal favorites. Contrary to popular belief they seem grow more solitary as they grow in age and get a the grumpy stereotypical pim attitude.

10. Rbishop

Rbishop ...and over the edge.
    Staff Member

Mr. Normal
    Yesterday at 4:59 PM
    Mr. Normal
    Best fish? The ones on the fork with Yum-Yum sauce....

;)

Reido Dorito likes this.