Best Fish You've Kept

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Reido Dorito

AC Members
Jun 6, 2017
Just thought I'd create a thread for sharing stories about our best fish, if that's not too weird.

I used to have a comet goldfish (my first real pet, actually), who was purchased from a feeder tank in a Walmart. He survived through all kinds of just awful, awful mistakes, and was the absolute hardiest fish I've ever seen. He lived for a happy eight years before his unfortunate passing. He'll always be one of my favorite fish. Seriously, though, that fish was indestructible. He was put into an uncycled tank (I was six, and my parents didn't know any better; we learned as we went), actually swam in soap due to a horrible accident (don't worry, that was within his first year with me), lived in a tank with no plants, and even lived in a 6.5 gallon, at one point. He had an amazingly long life, given his tank size and breed. He might not be the most long-lived, but he was definitely a little toughie. I wish I could have done more for him, now that I know more about his requirements.

If you have the means, the space, and the love, get one.

Reactions: EL Oh EL Eh (Lola)

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
I once had a hyper-aggressive little Endler's livebearer male. It would stalk and kill all other males in the tank, one by one. Never seen anything like it before or since from one of these guys.
Anyhow, this is the only fish I have ever resorted to flushing down the toilet, and I still cringe that I did that.
However, an hour or two after doing this, I returned to the bathroom and to my shock, the little terror was actively swimming around the bowl!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Not an individual fish, but white clouds are among my all time favorites. They're lovely, active, peaceful. Just really great fish.

Reactions: ustabefast

SomethingFishy

AC Members
May 1, 2002
Austin, TX
Real Name
Virginia
Years ago I had a pleco many times when I fed the other fish, he would come to the top, turn upside down, and suck the fish food from the surface. I tried telling him he was supposed to be a bottom feeder, but he didn't listen. I always got a kick out of it, and I've not seen one do that since.

Reido Dorito

AC Members
Jun 6, 2017
Wow. That Endler's sounds like an abomination. Amazing that he survived a toilet, and proceeded to stay there for around an hour, but a little monster nonetheless. =D

Yeah, I've heard about white clouds before. They sound like wonderful fish! I'd love to get some sometime in the future.

You know, I've never heard of a pleco that ever came to the top, let alone one that came to the top for feeding time. What a funny fish!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Good to hear that little endler didn't encounter any worms dangling above him..

Seriously though, that's a disturbing but funny story.

Favorite fish for me? I really don't have a single fav at this point. Plenty I do enjoy and some I can do without..

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
My old red crown tail betta. Hardiest fish Ive ever had. Had him for quite some years, not sure how long. He got me into aquarium keeping in the first place.

He ended up in my old 30g community and got along great with everything in it. Was there for over a year before he finally passed away.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Years ago I had a pleco many times when I fed the other fish, he would come to the top, turn upside down, and suck the fish food from the surface. I tried telling him he was supposed to be a bottom feeder, but he didn't listen. I always got a kick out of it, and I've not seen one do that since.
I have a longfin blue eye that does that, but only for certain foods. If he notices that I'm watching he swims off and acts like he was NOT just looking like a cloud at the top of the tank.

Renegade Aquatics

AC Members
Jul 13, 2018
Lurking
Real Name
Spencer
Pimelodus pictus are one my personal favorites. Contrary to popular belief they seem grow more solitary as they grow in age and get a the grumpy stereotypical pim attitude.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Best fish? The ones on the fork with Yum-Yum sauce....

;)

Reactions: Reido Dorito
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store