Best Guppy Control Fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Community Tank

AC Members
Nov 4, 2018
My guppies are apparently loving their new tank, as the fry are taking over. I was looking for something that would help keep these guys in check. The tank is 50g, and I have no idea how many guppies are in there.

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
My endlers are the same, colony is quickly taking over the 44g theyre in.

Ive started just feeding fry to my severums... may have to just plain separate the males and females soon.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Do you have anything other than the livebearers in the tank? Pretty much any fish with a mouth big enough to suck in a fry will eat them. Larger tetras, barbs, angels, to name a few.

Community Tank

AC Members
Nov 4, 2018
Do you have anything other than the livebearers in the tank? Pretty much any fish with a mouth big enough to suck in a fry will eat them. Larger tetras, barbs, angels, to name a few.
The only other thing in there is neon tetras and a BN Pleco. I am looking into a few different kinds for fry control

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Larger tetras, rasboras, or danios may be the answer, like Freshy said. Skirts are easily available in most places. Skirts in general *can* be somewhat aggressive and fin nippy. Red serpaes/minors aren't quite as deep bodied, but they are also notorious fin nippers. If you like the look of them, maybe try to track down the much less aggressive red phantom tetras (the black spots are more round, less vertical bar shaped), which aren't easy to find, or their easier to find cousins, the black phantom tetra. Giant danios and roseline barbs get larger (4 and 6 inches, respectively), and are pretty energetic, but generally peaceful fish. I don't know how big the mouths on the roselines get (they're on my list to home at some point, but haven't done so yet) so I don't know if they're a threat to adult guppies.

Reactions: Community Tank
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store