Best loach for planted discus tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

roybo

AC Members
Mar 6, 2011
Only had clowns in the past are the any type of loach that eats snails but isn't as agro as the clowns. Mellow loach?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Botia striata may work. I haven't tried the combo yet but may in future. There may be risk, loaches may carry nematodes. I treat all mine in QT just in case. Clowns like the discus temp but are nocturnal, spooked my angels, so I won't try that again with discus. Pinkertd had y.sidthimunki with her discus but took them out, I think because the big discus made the sids hide, not sure...Debbi? Yoyos & histrionica maybe be too rowdy...

Have you tried other methods of snail control? Loaches need a social group, most like stronger current than discus. You can squish snails against the glass, bait & remove...a few are no big deal.

Jeremy Smith

Lizard loachnut
May 18, 2006
ma
Tough combo, the loaches that are best suited for discus type tank tend tobe more active than ideal for discus. Off the top of my head unfortunatly I can not think of a very good option.

As fish said above striata may be the best choice. They need a group and may still be to active for discus. Wish I had a solution for you.
Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

roybo

AC Members
Mar 6, 2011
Just fishing around for ideas on a future planted discus tank. No matter how hard I try with planted I always manage a few snails. Just checking out options. thanks for your responses.

Roy

AlyssaKay

AC Members
Sep 17, 2011
Woodland, CA
lottatanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Alyssa Kay
I've had skunk botia and clown loaches with discus - but you HAVE to monitor the tank in night mode with all the lights out to check for bullying periodically. I found that the botias and loaches would sometimes start to terrorize the other tank mates in the dark - I'd have to catch the in the act with a flashlight before i could identify the bully fish to remove it. Usually it was just one or two specific fish that had issues - removing them seemed to always resolve that issue.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
i want to say yoyos....but they are way too activfe and will scare the discus...or not................

maybe dwarf chain loach, idk how those are.......good luck:)

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Only had clowns in the past are the any type of loach that eats snails but isn't as agro as the clowns. Mellow loach?
Discus being what they are, I'd go with assassin snails.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
As others have suggested, it is quite likely that most loaches would be too active and tend to display what I can best describe as 'pushy' behavior, which could stress discus. I know that Clowns often do that.
The only loach that I'm aware of, that I believe should not pose a problem for discus is the Kuhli loach, but they wouldn't likely help with snail management.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
As others have suggested, it is quite likely that most loaches would be too active and tend to display what I can best describe as 'pushy' behavior, which could stress discus. I know that Clowns often do that.
The only loach that I'm aware of, that I believe should not pose a problem for discus is the Kuhli loach, but they wouldn't likely help with snail management.
+1

I kept kuhlis with discus for years and the discus are not bothered by the kuhlis. I even had kuhlis spawn when my latest 125g got jungly.

Mark

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Get dwarf chain loach (Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki). They stay small and are very active but way to0 small to bother discus. They are great snail eaters too.

Understand that big loaches only eat big snails but not the tiny ones. Small loaches, like the sidtimunki can only eat small snails but not big ones. This means you will have to manually remove the big ones while the sids will decimate the babies.

Only go with assassins if you have a fine gravel or sand substrate as assassin babies and youngsters are programmed to bury themselves for protection.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store