Best place to buy plants?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I just checked their latest reviews and that is sad to see how that place went to hell in a handbasket ?
I want to say it's been over a decade. I haven't paid any attention to them since I heard problems though.. there are plenty of other places, so it really doesn't hurt me to have to shop elsewhere.

But you can say it for anywhere... Always check ratings and reviews.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Look for someone selling ALL the plants you want right now but with NO substitutions (goodness knows what they might send!! NO!!!). That's 1 of the BIG letdowns about AZ from what I remember hearing...I've never bought from them...Better to wait than pay shipping several times...It'll also be good to let temps come down a bit, nothing kills plants as fast as freezing or cooking in high heat. We should all be hitting optimal temps very soon for almost all of us.

Shop more! I never heard of Seattle...??

My cryptocoryne favs include Mi Oya (maroon color, nice!) & almost all of the "wendtii" group (red, brown, green, green gecko, etc), nurii (newer), lucens, bright green. All are in the 4-6 inch height range & would like a root tab fertilizer nearby.

Run your final plant list by us, I've killed may "easy" plants, tain't nessecarily so...This is for your 20g standard tank right? So NO big swords...

johnwduncan

AC Members
Aug 6, 2020
Look for someone selling ALL the plants you want right now but with NO substitutions (goodness knows what they might send!! NO!!!). That's 1 of the BIG letdowns about AZ from what I remember hearing...I've never bought from them...Better to wait than pay shipping several times...It'll also be good to let temps come down a bit, nothing kills plants as fast as freezing or cooking in high heat. We should all be hitting optimal temps very soon for almost all of us.

Shop more! I never heard of Seattle...??

My cryptocoryne favs include Mi Oya (maroon color, nice!) & almost all of the "wendtii" group (red, brown, green, green gecko, etc), nurii (newer), lucens, bright green. All are in the 4-6 inch height range & would like a root tab fertilizer nearby.

Run your final plant list by us, I've killed may "easy" plants, tain't nessecarily so...This is for your 20g standard tank right? So NO big swords...
I have a 20 gallon long. So far I am sold on the Anubias but not sure which, Java Fern, and a Bucephalandra. Pretty much anything I can attach to a river rock.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I could "almost" get you there but I'm not sharing my very few buccies just yet ;)...& this is NOT what you want...too many shipping charges...try again...but good ideas...keep shopping...& wait...you'll get there...be patient...

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
You likely don't want anything that gets a foot or more in length.

Personally I would go with needle leaf Java Fern, anubias nana petite or pinto, and any of the farmed/tissue cultured bucepgelandra should be fine (try not to get wild collected, the collection of it is gonna cause it to be list in the wild)

I'd maybe consider hygrophola pinatifida or mini bolbitis too.

johnwduncan

AC Members
Aug 6, 2020
You likely don't want anything that gets a foot or more in length.

Personally I would go with needle leaf Java Fern, anubias nana petite or pinto, and any of the farmed/tissue cultured bucepgelandra should be fine (try not to get wild collected, the collection of it is gonna cause it to be list in the wild)

I'd maybe consider hygrophola pinatifida or mini bolbitis too.
ok thank you. i dont want anything i have to fertilize or give extra c02.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
yep, 10 inches is your "ceiling" in a 20 long. Root tabs don't count for daily or EI ferts, they're just my "lazy speed", lol. Every 3 or 4 months or when crypts look like they need it...maybe 5 or 6 months, (ahem, I believe I said I'm a lame fertilizer...you can do it!).

Look at "spiral vallisneria" (often called Italian val or really "asiatica"). I loved it in my 20 long! I don't think I fertilized it beyond fish food & poo. 8-10 inches high & cute in a slightly spready way, easy to control...

jefftilt

AC Members
Sep 3, 2008
Atlanta GA
You have some good advice here from some knowledgeable people. I will repeat what has been said in regard t your specific request, ie, what plants cab be glued to a surface. As you and others have said, perhaps the best options are one of the species of Anubis and Java Fern (there are at least 5 leaf varieties). And I will repeat what has been said, to get completely 'clean' aquarium plants you will likely have to buy them in a cloned form. Even grown hydroponically doesn't mean they are completely clean. Although rare, they can still come with insect eggs attached.

As someone who grows bonsai in addition to aquarium plants I will repeat what my first teacher told me and what has been said in other ways in other replies to your post. You will learn more by killing trees (in this case aquarium plants) than anything else you do. Although I understand the idea of avoiding problems to begin with (an ounce of prevention is, in fact worth more than a pound of cure) what sets someone knowledgeable apart from average is the knowledgeable person knows what to do to correct problems once they occur.

Enjoy the challenges of the hobby. They are what keep you learning and what keep things interesting.

Best of luck to you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store