Best test kit?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

crazyj

AC Members
Dec 14, 2002
Charelston South Carolina
Visit site
What is the best test kit ????????

Hi all I am new to the forum and i have a ? on test kits. I have had tanks on and off my whole like and i have used difrent brands of test kits but never felt like i was getting a good reading out of them. I was just wondering what every one else thought was the best brand of test kit to get

Thanks for the read
Crazy J

this is by fare the best fourm i have found
:cool:

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
I use the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals ones. They are very good. You should get that all in one kit that comes with 6 different tests.

It would be cool if they came out with a digital thing that you left in the water all the time and it told you your ammonia, ph, nitrite, nitrate, kh, and gh levels all the time. But one can only wish.

appaloosatb

Took the road less taken
May 24, 2002
Byron, MN
appaloosatb.bookcrossing.com
I have the Hagen master test kit and am very happy with it. It was a bit pricey to buy ($60 at a LFS), but it comes with every test kit imaginable and I'm able to buy refill bottles for $0.75 each at my LFS so I don't have to buy the whole test set of 3 bottles again if I just run out of one.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
I'll go with the Devils fan on this one. Aquarium Pharmeceuticals is as good as it gets at a reasonable price and the color charts seem to be most comprehesive in most cases. I've used a few and like them the best.
Len

Elmo

AC Members
Dec 8, 2001
London, Ontario
I use all Hagen kits, they seem to work well enough but I haven't really tried any other brands.

Bruddah Chrispy

AC Members
Dec 3, 2002
Redmond, WA
Visit site
Cast another vote for American Pharmaceuticals' kit. I've been happy with it.

BTW - Big Al's has it for sale for $10. I paid twice that at <BigPetWhereHouseStore>. :mad:

Sumpin'fishy

Humble Disciple of Jesus Christ
Oct 16, 2002
Savannah, GA
I'm really surprised nobody has named Salifert yet! They are extremely accurate and quick, but a bit pricey. I have also recently been trying a couple of Sera test kits (ammo, nitrite) and they seem to work ok, but still undecided to their quality. I'm happy with the color chart distinction with both Salifert and Sera though.

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
the best? i don't know.... adequate.......

i use the aquarium pharmaceuticals "master test kit" also, it seemed like about the best bang for the buck. i think i spent $20 on it and it includes all the basic stuff. high and regular ph, ammonia/ammonium, nitrite, gh and kh....... you should also have nitrate......

personally i thought of switching to strips, i hate the "mad scientist" feel i get when using this. i also occasionally don't like the color chart reading, it seems ambiguous or something. but from the looks of it this thing is going to last me forever, so why waste the extra money........?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store