Betta and Mirror question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hatter

Elk Grove Village, IL
I think it depends on the individual fish. I tried putting one up for my betta and it slammed itself into the tank glass repeatedly, so I took it down. I've seen other peoples betta simply flare at the reflection, then swim away. It seemed to amuse the fish without the reaction mine had. So, what I guess I'm trying to say is to leave it up if it's not stressing out/scaring the fish.

O-man21

30 FW, 6 SW, 2.5 SW
Dec 3, 2002
Des Moines, IA
I think it is fine to have a mirror in or next to the tank, if the fish doesn't hurt itself. I don't need on because mine flares at the congo tetras in the tank.

bettaman

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
NY
Visit site
I use a mirror to give my betta a "workout" from time to time. I've actually done some research on this. It's good for the fish to see its reflection for about 15-20 minutes three or four times a week. Its been suggested that some bettas become dull or lonely when this exercise is left out.

blee358

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Visit site
Betta's will just flare up and charge at the mirror. After a couple times of not hitting a target they realize that nothings there and just leave it alone. It's kinda cool of how a betta will flare up and attack at it's own reflection though.

goldfries

AC Members
Oct 11, 2001
Malaysia
www.briancyc.com
it depends on the betta's personality.

i had bettas that charge non-stop at a mirror, i had bettas that charge for a while then minds his own business, i had bettas that have literally no interest in mirrors.

i would not recommend putting a mirror next to their 'house' all the time as it will stress them out.

as for me, i give my betta a 15 - 30 minute workout in front of the mirror, daily if i can. he'll look at it, flare, then move around abit, then flare again.

flaring is like exercising, it's good for your health but you'll die faster if you do it non-stop.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store