Betta Females together in a ten gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

VampireCrabs

AC Members
Apr 11, 2020
I know you can do betta sorority's, but what is the minimum tank size? I keep hearing twenty as well as ten gallons. I don't know which to believe!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
20g long is the absolute minimum for a sorority of at least 5 female bettas. But its soooo hard to get the right balance. Bigger is better. Many times, it fails. It takes a lot of trial and error and all depends on the temperament of each betta girl... and then theres the issue of if the alpha female dies, chaos ends up happening.

VampireCrabs

AC Members
Apr 11, 2020
20g long is the absolute minimum for a sorority of at least 5 female bettas. But its soooo hard to get the right balance. Bigger is better. Many times, it fails. It takes a lot of trial and error and all depends on the temperament of each betta girl... and then theres the issue of if the alpha female dies, chaos ends up happening.
Okay. Is there any way to tell who the alpha female is?

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I would assume the one others stay further away from, probably the one first to the food.

I dont keep sororities, its complicated.

CichlidFins

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Real Name
Jay
I've seen 10g sororities done, there were several on another board I used to be one. Had a group of dwarf crays too.

Can it be done? Yes. But this person also was very experienced.
Something I would recommend? No.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store