Betta fish plus...? (2.5 gallon tank)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JCKey618

AC Members
Dec 28, 2010
Hi All,

I used to be an avid aquarium guy, had a 55 gallon tank, pre-cycled it, researched a lot before getting fish, etc, etc. Had to give away tank a few years ago because of moving for medical school, now married with a couple young kids and no time for a big tank but thought a fish might be a good first pet for my young boys. This is all to say I have some background in keeping fish but it's been a while.

Went to the pet store and got a Aqueon Minibow 2.5 gallon with light and filter and one male betta fish. I know 2.5 gallons itself is fairly small for even one fish and I don't plan to get any other fish, but wondering if any other creatures I can safely add? Shrimp? Snails? Anything at all?

If advised against the betta is great by itself but just wanted to see if I have options for some diversity.

PS: Kids named my fish Blue Dumptruck.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Welcome back to it JC.

You could try some snails or shrimp, but the betta will most likely pick off the shrimp. I've had bettas that would pick at larger snails tentacles, etc, causing them to stay in their shells and eventually die. Some don't have issues like this at all. Depends on the individual betta.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Nerites are a decent choice to pair with a betta--they are smarter about retracting their eyes to avoid being nipped and don't reproduce in freshwater (they will lay eggs, little white dots, but nothing hatches).

And...A bigger tank will be easier, if you have the space. Even a 10 gallon, with some low-light plants like jave ferns and anubias to help keep it stable...the added volume provides a LOT more leeway. Keep in mind that small tanks still need to cycle, so monitor and do water changes as needed.

Kaitlyn

AC Members
Sep 20, 2017
I definitely understand not having time to deal with a big tank like what you used to have, but I feel the need to mention that a 2.5 gallon will end up requiring more of your time than say a 10 gallon.. You'll have to clean it more often, the water will be less stable, etc. You'll end up putting in more work trying to keep the 2.5 gallon at ease than it would take to run a 10 gallon..

But if you have your heart set on the 2.5, no worries. Just remember to clean it often.

I'm hoping you cycled your tank prior to putting in the betta..

You could try snails or shrimp, but depending on what the temperament turns out to be of your betta, he could just end up biting the heads off. Not sure how your kids might take that, lol.

Maybe a live plant, or a moss ball even. I might suggest putting in an air stone as well.. Up to you though.

Betta's can eat live food, right? You could try putting in live food- could be interesting to watch! Once again, not sure how your kids would take it but, could be cool. Watching Pea puffers eat snails (for example), in my opinion, is pretty neat so.. lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store