Betta Fish Ripping Tail?!?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ftg2003

AC Members
Sep 15, 2020
Hi- I’ve had my betta for a bit longer than a month now and recently, he’s been tearing his tail (...a lot).

He never did this before, and I first started noticing the tears about a week ago. I removed anything that I thought could be causing it (driftwood, big stone), yet he’s still tearing it. Then, I realized that maybe it was the new heater clips (I had just bought a new heater around the time he first started tearing it) but even when I put new clips on, that didn’t help either.

It’s getting really bad and I know I need to act fast, so if anyone knows what could be wrong, please let me know.

I don’t think it’s illness because it’s so rapid, and I keep my tank very clean and do water changes almost weekly.

I will add photos showing the progressing of the tail ripping:E1FAD645-935E-40F0-B117-010E066A0829.jpeg471C674B-22CE-4D05-BC8B-CA5E7A6517A2.jpeg02142509-5EC4-4DC0-9123-7F325A58550F.jpegimage.jpg

azaahp2

AC Members
Sep 27, 2020
Are you able to test the rest of the parameters of the water? it could be fin rot. But then, I'm not personally experienced in such things :)

Ftg2003

AC Members
Sep 15, 2020
oh no! I didn’t test the water because I thought it was just him tearing it, but when I just tested the water, there was the smallest amount of ammonia present. I just did a water change to bring that back to 0 but what do I do?!?! Do I need to give him antibiotics for fin rot?!

Are you able to test the rest of the parameters of the water? it could be fin rot. But then, I'm not personally experienced in such things :)

azaahp2

AC Members
Sep 27, 2020
I was hoping someone more knowledgable might reply cos my guess is not even as good as yours... ? but if you search 'betta fin rot' on this forum there are some helpful articles.

Interested to know how you go. It's a gorgeous fish

Ftg2003

AC Members
Sep 15, 2020
thank you! I did my research and bought some antibiotics which will hopefully work!
I was hoping someone more knowledgable might reply cos my guess is not even as good as yours... ? but if you search 'betta fin rot' on this forum there are some helpful articles.

Interested to know how you go. It's a gorgeous fish

sukumar

Registered Member
Oct 1, 2020
seems to be the starting of fin rot.
do big water changes everyday and use medications.
for now try doing salt bath using a good aquarium salt it shld help.
try not to stress the fish much as it promotes more fin damage.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store