Betta tankmates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Susan M Smith

Registered Member
May 30, 2017
Hello everyone.. I'm new here so please bear with me if I get something wrong.. I'm not sure how these forums work yet!!
I have a half moon double tail male Betta in a 5 gallon tank with filter, heater and air stone. I was wondering.. can i put in an Otocinclus with him or if any kind of pleco would work in a 5 gallon tank??

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Otocinclus are not happy alone. They are schooling fish, and do best kept in a group much larger than will work in a 5. A bulldog or clown pleco MIGHT work, but it will require more maintenance on your part, as pleco are high on the waste production scale. A few nerite snails might do better, if you will feed them algae wafers and don't mind seeing white eggs (they don't hatch, and can be wiped away). A mystery snail would work as well.

Susan M Smith

Registered Member
May 30, 2017
Otocinclus are not happy alone. They are schooling fish, and do best kept in a group much larger than will work in a 5. A bulldog or clown pleco MIGHT work, but it will require more maintenance on your part, as pleco are high on the waste production scale. A few nerite snails might do better, if you will feed them algae wafers and don't mind seeing white eggs (they don't hatch, and can be wiped away). A mystery snail would work as well.

Susan M Smith

Registered Member
May 30, 2017
Ok thank you!! I'm thinking maybe the clown pleco then.. I'm too worried a snail will crawl out of the tank! There are no big holes, but some small ones around the filter and heater cord can't be avoided. I would hate to have to search for a snail.. I find them creepy! I love the clown pleco tho!! I had one in my 20 gallon but lost him to an ich outbreak a few months back. He was SO cool!! I have an albino BN now. I didn't know if the BN could go in the 5 gallon or maybe the clown, so thanks for your help.. I really appreciate it!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store