Betta with gouaramis's?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishcube

Registered Member
Jan 31, 2003
Visit site
Anyone have a betta in with one or two gourami's? particularly dward gourami's.

I would like to put something in with my betta, and figured another air breather would work better.

SK

Winnie

AC Members
It depends what kind of tank your betta is in. If it's a small one with no filtration or heater, then don't do it. Gouramis need good water quality, even if they don't need good oxygen content in the water. And IMO, dwarf gouramis each need about 10 gallons of water to be happy.
Also, because dwarf gouramis are labrynth fish like bettas are, the bettas might want to fight them. That's what I've read - don't know if it's true.

Roland

worlds last gunslinger
I just this morning had to take my male fighter out of my community tank as he was getting his fins nipped by my male dwarf gourami, and my three spotted gourami.

But temperment changes from fish to fish, so you could give it a try if you moniter the situation closely. Do you have any plants, particularly floating plants, for refuge?

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
Originally posted by fishcube
Anyone have a betta in with one or two gourami's? particularly dward gourami's.

I would like to put something in with my betta, and figured another air breather would work better.

SK
It's worked for me (betta with pearl gouramies and dwarf gouramis), but it can depend on the individual temperaments of each fish. (Pearls are listed as peaceful, for example, but I have seen quite mean ones.) I think a betta would be fine with these two species, but you'd still want to keep an eye out. Other, more aggressive gouramis (golds, for example) might be a problem. And don't mix a betta with paradise fish -- they will fight.

hope this helps,
--Anthony

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I've read that gouramies dispatch Bettas like nobody's business, since they are so closely related. If you want to try, be very vigilant and have a tank handy for the Betta.

val

Oct 18, 2002
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Mine got along. Although, I did notice the same thing about pearl gouramis, which seemed pretty aggressive to me... Put a couple of female bettas as well, they'll spend more time at the mid and lower strata of the tank, and as such, the male seems to follow and spends less time at the surface, which is where my dwarfs lived...

Val

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store