Betta's w/ other fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DrDeath

AC Members
Apr 30, 2002
New York
Visit site
I have asked this before, but I can't seem to access any of my old stuff, sorry!

I just purchased a new 10g tank. I would like to put my Betta in it, but the kids want to add other fish as well. My LFS has a tank with a Betta and some tetra's. They didn't seem to bother one another, but their tank is bigger than mine.

Also, how about crabs? WIll they mix with the Betta?

Lastly, sand or gravel?

Thanks all!

DrD

mwood322

AC Members
Well,

Yes your Betta can mix with other fish, mostly small calm schooling fish, or small catfish.

No Botia Species Loaches, though kuhlis would be fine, and no barbs. I've had success with Checkered Barbs, but that is not the norm. Smaller Rasboras are normally fine. Tetras are largely okay if you avoid red-eyed, serpae, jewel, callistus, and most of the phantoms. Neons, Cardinals, Glowlights and others of that size and temperment should be fine. Catfish could be smaller cories, such as pandas, or even pygmy cories. Kuhli Loaches do well with bettas.

Sand or gravel is a preference. Sand can look dirty faster since waste does not sink into the gravel and hide. If you have bottom feeders they would liekly appreciate the sand. If you do go with sand be sure to stir it up every week to avoid toxic areas, and don't use a deep bed. Malaysian Trumpet Sanials might also help with sand.

Hope this answers your questions.
--Mia

Decz

AC Members
Aug 15, 2002
BC, Canada
I've never seen it myself, but I have heard that crabs can be agressive toward fish. I would be worried about a Betta with any crab. I HAVE tried blue crayfish before though, and it was a horrible situation. The crayfish attacked anything that went near it, including uprooting every plant. I ended up trading him in.

I have successfully had black skirt tetra's, cories, zebra danio's, and albino cherry barbs with male betta's. I never had any problems.

Good Luck! :)

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
When I tried to introduce a couple cories with my betta, he was very intolerant of them.... My betta had the tank for a month before I tried to introduce friends, I think that was my mistake.

To experienced betta people - would it be fair to say chances of success would be increased if the other fish were in the tank fist?

I now put guppy fry in the tank to add a population. Bixby is not the best at catching them, it seems, but they do end up disappearing and I keep adding more. One (female) guppy is now 3 weeks old and quite big, I think Bixby has decided to keep this one as a pet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store