Big Box, "Pet Whatever," Bettas worst I've seen yet

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
I agree with FreshyFresh, Big box do sometimes have nice ones. I got my first fish (a Betta) in five years at one the other day. He is surprisingly handsome.
In fact, I saw a gorgeous light-pink veiltail at my local Petsmart the other day. Very active, wished I could have brought him home. I hate those little cups so many stores keep them in.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I just visted the original store to get feeder fish. This time the bettas looked even worse than when I started the thread. If I bought them all 9 out of 10 wouldn't make it even with my experience and knowledge. Sad, just sad.

Big Bass

Banned
Mar 2, 2016
USA / Indiana
www.aquariacentral.com
Camera Used
Polaroid SuperColor 645 CL
Wanna know how to cure that ? convince everyone somehow to stop buying them. I wish i was a betta breeder, i would devote all my efforts to that and build a website advertising top quality betta fish for free if you just pay the shipping.

Stop the demand, stop the interest of the no care retailer.

Reactions: irishspy

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I run the DIY Betta Project that supplies free Bettas just pay postage during the summer months. We found it is too expensive in winter due to larger boxes to accommodate heat packs. We are spawning now for May and still have a few odds and ends from last year.

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
I run the DIY Betta Project that supplies free Bettas just pay postage during the summer months. We found it is too expensive in winter due to larger boxes to accommodate heat packs. We are spawning now for May and still have a few odds and ends from last year.
Really? That's so cool. How big are ya'll?

Brian

Anabantastic

AC Members
Jun 9, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
Real Name
Alyssa
Try Instagram, as crazy as that sounds. There's a HUGE betta community there, and I've been able to find some US based breeders who ship fish that are within 500 miles of me with very, very nice stock. Honestly, Instagram was the last place I ever expected to find fairly local, high quality fish for sale, but they're on there!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store