Biowheel filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I know this is an old thread, but I figured it was better to post here than make a new one.

This review
said that the biowheel filters do work, but they aren't necessarily superior to power filters that use submerged biomedia. The author said that while the bio-wheel exposes the bacteria to more oxygen, it has much less surface area than a large sponge. This is the first "experiment" I've read about concerning the bio-wheels, so I found it to be pretty interesting. I use a Penguin 100 myself, though I've wondered what the hype is really all about. If anyone has done something similar to this, it'd be cool to read about your observations.
Interesting read! Did you notice that the whole thing is basically an add for a competing technology, fluidized beds? The methodology of the experimentation was as scientific as a discussion about who'sthe most beautiul woman in the world. If anyone has interest in running a proper test for themselves, set up two identical tanks with the the two competing filters, brand new. Dose both tanks to 5ppm ammonia, and plot the levels of NH3 and N02. Keep the ammonia level at 5ppm with daily additions, as needed and keep track of exactly how much your adding to each tank. You will find in short order that you're adding more ammonia to the biowheel tank to maintain the 5ppm. That would be a reasonably scientific way to go about testing this, accepting the limits of home measuring and testing of course.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
The bio-wheels on my Emperor 400 don't gunk up. In fact, they still look like they did from day 1. The spraybar holes do get clogged from time to time, however.

Obelisk

AC Members
Feb 19, 2009
Interesting read! Did you notice that the whole thing is basically an add for a competing technology, fluidized beds? The methodology of the experimentation was as scientific as a discussion about who'sthe most beautiul woman in the world.
I realize it couldn't be taken too seriously, but it caught my attention because I've never read about the biowheel filters being tested out. I've read about the biowheel supposedly growing more bacteria, though it's hard to believe it with just an explanation and no proof. If commercial fish farmers prefer them, then I guess that's something to go by. I tried reading about them, but I didn't find much until you mentioned rotating bio contacters.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
The bio-wheels on my Emperor 400 don't gunk up. In fact, they still look like they did from day 1. The spraybar holes do get clogged from time to time, however.
Easy way to clean them is to remove them and the just shake up and down vigorously with about 3/4 of the bar below the surface. 4 or 5 good shakes will normally clear the holes.

countryboy

AC Members
Jul 20, 2012
CNY
I don't know what the fuss is about. Bio wheels have a huge amount of area to hold bb. They expose the bb to much more o2. If you have a tank that you think is too small for a canister or can't afford one, an hob bio wheel such as a penguin 350 or 200 is the way to go. As for the wheels.....if you can't clean them. Buy new ones. They are replaceable. :duh:

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
If most of the bacteria grow on the wheel, then that's just asking for ammonia spikes.
Agreed. All that's necessary is a good swishing in a bucketful of tank water.

countryboy

AC Members
Jul 20, 2012
CNY
If most of the bacteria grow on the wheel, then that's just asking for ammonia spikes.
My penguin 350 has 2 wheels I can replace one at a time. However have never needed to.

bettalover77

AC Members
May 27, 2010
Real Name
Alex
In my experience, the bio wheel does a good job, the quality of the rest of the filter is not always good
I have a 100 on a ten gallon that is completely silent, but the 300 I have on my 50 gallon column is very noisy (vibrating hum from impeller area)
I will be replacing the 300 soon.

Nereus7

AC Members
Jul 30, 2012
If you don't change the oil in your car's engine it will stop turning too. Maintenance keeps things turning smoothly in both examples.
I maintained it. After it still didn't work I pulled the bio wheel and sanded the "contact points" into sharp points like a pencil and it started flipping again, then stopped. Then after awhile started falling apart. Whisper 40i with ceramics and a sock of carbon will out do your standard bio wheel I would imagine. Plus, you just pull it out, dump the rings in some RO/DI swish, pour the rings back, and you're good to go. Takes about a minute, and lasts so far for me, forever. - N

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store