Bleaching rocks for aquarium??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

iljadej

AC Members
Oct 17, 2011
Can anyone explain the bleaching process for rocks found outside that you want to use for your aquarium. What kind of bleach, how long do you let the rock sit in the bleach, how do you entirely rinse the bleach from the rock. Please help, thank you.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
I don't bleach rocks but have used it for tank/equipment. I believe it is a ratio of 1 to 19 but I don't ever measure. Pour a little bleach and a lot of water is what I do. Soak it for 10 minutes, no longer than 20min. to be safe. Rinse and soak it in water and dechlorinator (double dose) for a day. Rinse afterwards and rocks should be good. Sometimes, I let it dry for an additional day if I'm a little paranoid about the bleach. I usually boil rocks I find and they have never exploded so maybe I'm just lucky. I use clorox bleach.

iljadej

AC Members
Oct 17, 2011
Hey, yea i read somewhere it was a 9 to 1 ration of water to bleach. Yea i am a little worried about boiling them and have noticed that people have had success with bleaching them

ssuchem13

Tower Tank Master
Oct 4, 2011
chicagoland
Real Name
Eric
i love including natural local rocks in my aquarium. and ive done quite alot myself. the best method i have is a 3 step process that involves both boiling and bleach.
Step 1 put your rocks in about 2 gallons of water and add to that 5ml plain clorox bleach(about a cap full or a splash, extra beach wont hurt anything tho) make sure its fragrance free bleach. mix up the water and let set 15 min.
Step 2 rinse rocks about 20 times in warm water, i like to do this in the bathtub . after rinsedmix up in the bucket 2 gallons of water and 5ml prime or other dechlorinator. add rocks, let soak 2 hrs, stirring occasionally. with porous rocks let sit 4 hrs and change water 3 times again dosing with prime or dchl.
Step 3, Boil. get a large stainless pot or atleast with no teflon. bring rocks up to a boin covered by atleast 3 inches of water. boil at a roaring boil for 15 min minimum, i usually do an hour.(i dont recommend porous rocks for this step, for them id say heat to a simmer for 2 hrs) then let cool, remove rocks into a dechlorinator bucket again and let sit for 1 hr. you,re rocks are now perfectly clean. i recommend using hard sillica rocks such as quartz, chert, feldspar, etc for best results as they dont leach easily into water.
this method is a bit overkill but ive never had any issues with rocks after it. any bacteria will be killed and the rocks will be sparkling clean after. also if you post a picture of the rocks i can identify them for you. i was a geology student, now a chemistry major with a minor in geo. vinegar can be used in a much higher concentration but not as effective as bleach. if going for only one m ethod, id recommend boiling personally.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store