Bloody Parrot.....yea....or.....nay?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Do you agree with the bloody parrot creation?

• Yea

Votes: 21 30.0%
  • Nay

Votes: 49 70.0%

• Total voters

Darkangel

AC Members
Nov 16, 2002
Oshawa, ON, Canada
Nope, that does not classify as a hybrid in the definition of the word. A hybred is the resulting offspring from the mating of two closely related members of the same family but not the same species. Like crossing a horse and a donkey. Breeding an apolosa to a paint is not a hybrid though. Also like a lion and tiger which produce an animal called a liger. Most, not all but most, hybreds end up as sterile animals. All the guppies are just very selectivly bred specimens of Poecilia or Lebistes (depends on whose theory you buy) reticulatus. Had you said swords or mollies you would have been right. Almost all captive bred swords and platies have some DNA from the other species. That is how all the different colours where developed to a large part in that fish. Captive mollies on the other hand a are mish mash of 2,3 or 4 different species of molly. Breeding different geoligical populations of the same species is not hybridizing. Hybreds do also appear in nature. On a fairly consistant basis in wild swords and platies and saltwater angels to name a few. This is part of the process of evolution and speciesization. Thats kinda long winded I guess but I like this topic. Sorry for the running on. Later.

goldfries

AC Members
Oct 11, 2001
Malaysia
www.briancyc.com
i'm not a supporter of owning hybrids, however there's nothing we can do as people have their preferences. people from where i come from rear LH and BP for the superstitious beliefs mostly.

and i disagree with the statement from

JamisonBWolsh - "DARKANGEL: Not to invalidate your claim. But your actually mistaken. Or perhaps I am? If you take one guppy from one part of an area and then you breed it with another guppy from a whole different area (would never have met in real life). Wouldnt that make the offspring a HYBRID of the 2? Man created. Same thing with bettas... "

it's not a matter of area.

blood parrot is a hybrid, it's a mixture of 2 different types of fish.
there is no original blood parrot on this planet. it came from 2 things and ended up being a 3rd. it's like an A + B = C thingy.

there's no BP+BP=BP here, it's ?? + ?? = BP.

guppies, bettas, goldfish, oscars...........these fish may have new coloration and form, however they're formed by years and years of inbreeding. the production is A+A=A only with maybe different color.

Neither did the Bettas mate with Gouramis nor did the Guppy with other Livebearers.

Take the guppy for example, the male maybe red, the female may be a yellow snake-skin and the off-spring could be a mixture. Look if a dark-skin human and a fair skin human mate, you don't call their mixed looked kids a Hybrid, right? (no offense, just an example.)

for more info concerning Hybrids, please visit
this site.

oh by the way, just in case if you want to know how the made tail-less Blood Parrots and Flowerhorns..... their tails were snipped off then they're small. believe it or not, i've seen tail-less oscar!!!

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
i guess i was right about being similar to dying,goldfries is right,flowerhorns are fertile hybrids becaus the fishes that made these fishes were from the same family,they are closely related resulting a new fertile species,parrots on the other,not sure about their parents but parrots+parrots=nothing for most cases,not all hybrids are man made,some animals in the wild crossbred by coincidence.

goldfries

AC Members
Oct 11, 2001
Malaysia
www.briancyc.com
well, after reading your post i think there might be a flaw in my analogy.

when i said "there's no BP+BP=BP here, it's ?? + ?? = BP." i think it's better put as XX + YY = BP. i think recent BPs are able to mate.

the case for LH(flowerhorns) would be different

XX + YY = LH, but LH + LH = LH. get the formula? the origins of LH are from other cichlids, however LH is able to mate with LH to produce more LH.

however i believe that the process of
(LH + LH) is equivalent to (XX + YY) + (XX + YY), that's why you can end up with baby LHs.

another proven fact that they are hybrids, is that they don't have scientific names which scientists used to catalog fish species.

well those of you who own BPs or LHs, you don't have to throw them away. Whether they're hybrids or not, whether we like them or not, most importantly you take good care of your fish regardless of their origins.

:D

Tiger15

AC Members
Jan 20, 1999
New Jersey
shirley.stormloader.com
There are numerous BP threads before. Let me set this straight. BP has never been proven to be hybrid, only a rumor. In a TPH article a couple years ago, a logical deduction is that BP is likely a deformed mutant, similar to balloon Molly, fancy gold fish, black veil angels . . .etc. Fish hybrid are often fertile, mutant often not. The recessive genes that make BP bloody red and deformed also turn them infertile, because two recessive genes pair up is fatal. Fish hybrid, on the other hand, are typically fertile and even show hybrid vigor. Many live bearers and Firehorn are fertile hybrid. Severim is from SA and Red Devel from CA and the chance of successfully hybridizing CA and SA cichlids is remote. The Synspillum/Red Devel hybrid rumor has better credibility because both are CA. Blue Dampsey is another deformed mutant that are infertile, but can cross with regular Dampsey so can BP with regular Red Devel. BTW, Red Devel in the trade isn't a natural fish, but an unintentional hybrid of Midas and Labiatus over many years of line breeding.

Last edited:

goldfries

AC Members
Oct 11, 2001
Malaysia
www.briancyc.com
hrrmm........ but
-can you find BPs in the wild?
-do they have a scientific name?
-if they are deformed mutant, what does the original one look like?
-even if a deformed mutant it would have a scientific name for it, wouldn't it?

as for me, i consider a fish is not a hybrid as long as they maintain their original form from the wild and not a result of mixing 2 different types of fish.

i don't consider goldfish a hybrid but i do consider them to be a mutant definitely as they've mutated far beyond their original looks. ehehe, i like the red cap orandas and ryukins.

but again my emphasis is that whether they're hybrids or not, whether we like them or not, most importantly we take good care of our fish regardless of their origins.

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
yucky!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store