Blue Eyed Goldfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TobiDaDog

AC Members
Feb 28, 2016
My Gloop has bi-colored eyes! One eye is brown-ish red, goldfish colored I guess? And the other is blue. Part of it is dark blue and part is crystal clear ice blue. I actually didn't even notice until a few days after I brought her home. I had spotted the oddity, but thought it was a reflection off of the blue rocks in her tank. However, upon closer inspection, she does indeed have one blue eye!

I found this very interesting, considering the fact that I've never seen a blue eyed goldfish before.

Is this common in goldfish?

Someone told me she might be blind, but I have yet to see symptoms. She's actually the most active and keen goldfish in the tank when it comes to food or spotting things worth investigating. She's the first to chase a finger in the tank, and she reacts if something on that side moves.

Either way, she's beautiful in my opinion.

Here's to you, Augustus Gloop!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I have an all white comet type goldfish with one red eye and one blue eye. Is it rare? Maybe? I have another all white guy with 2 blue eyes. The blue is all fairly light colored like the bottom of your's. People probably heard blue and thought of the film that covers blind eyes, not what you have though.

TobiDaDog

AC Members
Feb 28, 2016
I have an all white comet type goldfish with one red eye and one blue eye. Is it rare? Maybe? I have another all white guy with 2 blue eyes. The blue is all fairly light colored like the bottom of your's. People probably heard blue and thought of the film that covers blind eyes, not what you have though.
Yeah I don't think she has any problems seeing.
Its interesting that you have some too-searching the internet I've only found one other-A shubunkin with bi-colored eyes.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I used to see this more often than you'd expect (massive comet tanks at PetSmart), and it definitely didn't appear to hamper their vision at all. A lot of animals that have white near their eyes will also lack pigment in the iris as well. It does look really cool though.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Cute and healthy looking fancies you've got there!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store