Blue Gill & Gold Fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dereks

AC Members
Mar 7, 2006
I heard if you add goldfish to an outdoor pond they will take over, is this true?

If so, how does this happen?

carolinyens

AC Members
Apr 20, 2009
Butner NC
What with nothing else in it maybe. Goldfish wont last long if you have crappie 6" or larger(2 yrs old) or largemouth bass of near bout any size. I have had bluegill and tried feedin them guppies. They didnt care for them they just pop em and spit em back out sinking. Basically what Im saying is any native sport fish will say thanks for the treats.

dereks

AC Members
Mar 7, 2006
Weird, I was told the goldfish would take over. My friend's grandpa said not to use goldfish as bait because if they get loose they'll take over.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
Weird, I was told the goldfish would take over. My friend's grandpa said not to use goldfish as bait because if they get loose they'll take over.
It can happen. We have a huge crawdad problem here in AZ because people used them for bait at one time. Using goldfish is illegal in most states and that should be enough reason not to use them, but he is correct. It can happen

carolinyens

AC Members
Apr 20, 2009
Butner NC
So your really looking for a cheap live bait? If so, then go to walmart and buy a cast net. They work best out on the water where you can catch shad. Shad are the ultimate bait fish. But they are really dumb and in any container that doesnt have rounded edges inside it will kill them bc they will just keep bumpin the side til they die. Plus if there isnt a lot of stumps and hang ups near the bank you can do the same there for small bluegill and other sunfish if you dont have access to a boat. There is another option of buying a minnow trap. They are a lot cheaper but dont tend to get the same results as a cast net. I hope this was what you were trying to get at. It is possible but highly unlikely. Best not to find out either way.

@fshfanatic I was unaware there could be a problem with crawdads. Was this an area that didnt have a good bass population? Most bass instinctively kill crawdads, likely bc of their tenacity and they tend to destroy eggs same goes for salamanders. I guess everyone uses crawdad crankbaits when fishing out there?

dereks

AC Members
Mar 7, 2006
Really I was just wondering how they take over, do they out-compete for food, dirty the water too much, or just reproduce so fast the other fish babies get eaten, etc?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store