Blue Gill out-growing tank/what to do in the middle of the winter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dereks

AC Members
Mar 7, 2006
So my plan was to move my blue gill to my pond out back when they outgrew my tank, problem is they're getting stressed and messing with each other now, in the middle of winter. I'm guessing the move would be way too stressful for them in the winter? It's about 20's at night and 40's during the day. So I guess what I'm asking is how hardy are these guys? And does anybody have any ideas?

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
they survive in streams, rivers and ponds up here during the winter so I fail to see the dilemma. Just acclimate it to the temperature change like they always do in the wild.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Air temps aren't what matters. What's the water temp in the pond and what temp are they at indoors?

fballguy

yum
Feb 27, 2006
Everett, WA
www.freshwaterfanatics.com
What I would do is put ice in your tank 1st to slowly cool it down closer to the water temp outside. This will help ease the transition by making it not as sudden of a temperature drop. Bluegills are extremely hardy, so they will be fine as long as the change isn't too sudden.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
What to do with a bluegill...I suppose the suggestion of "lunch" would be considered in poor taste? :)

in lieu of which I agree with all posters above, cool them down slowly to the pond temp and move 'em on out.

dereks

AC Members
Mar 7, 2006
Thanks! Yea I kept putting snow in the aquarium today until the temp matched the pond temp, then right at the warmest part of the day I dumped them in. They disappeared but time will tell where they went. I would have guessed it to be impossible to do this during the winter, thanks!

mela

AC Members
May 9, 2011
orange park fl
Real Name
Melvin Avery
Was gonna suggest that you send them here to Fl so I could put them in my little pond. They would be nice company for my sunfish.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I agree that air temp is not the same as water temp. Contrary to some ill advised opinions, water temp here gets into the low 30's. The big problem we face with ponds is needing bubblers to keep them from freezing solid. Most people with koi either bring them into a house tank or to a LFS where they winter-over. Since the frost/freeze line is at 3 feet on average, most ponds are closer to 6' or more. It is also common practice to increase water flow in hopes of it not freezing solid. Not every pond makes it through a real cold winter and neither do some of the smaller streams. Just bring the temp down slow like seasonal temperatures do and you should be ok. If you know someone with a chiller for a saltwater tank, that would help. Trying to maintain a a cold enough temp will be a problem.

Many of the ponds I fish at in early spring are still around 35-38F water temps and even with wearing cold waders you can't be in it long. Some of them barely make it to 70 by summer's end. Every spring someone drowns because they fail to account for how cold the water actually is. By spring thaw the fish still alive are so doggone hungry that they hit at just about anything including a bare hook (happens but very seldom. You can usually fake them out with a shredded cigarette filter before they catch on. I have no idea how they manage to subsist, yet they do. Also very common to see ppl out on the ice pulling them in. Just wish we had crappie too. Then it would be complete!

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store