Blue Hippo Tang Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
If u only have 20lbs of live rock and a skimmer, are you sure your tank is even cycled?? There is no biological filtration in the tank. You need at least a pound of LR per gallon for filtration. 1.5 - 2 lbs is recommended.
- Not if you put on external filtration...

- A hippo tang will also quickly outgrow a 72g tank
A hippo tang will be fine in a 72gal tank for a good few years. Yes, an upgrade will be needed further down the line though.

Niko

Scribble68

AC Members
May 31, 2006
NJ
I did also say if LR was not going to be used than a Wet/Dry would be in order. Thats an external form of filtration. And if by external u mean a hang on or canister, its not practical for a tank that large. Canisters r nitrate factories and are barely effective. LR is the best method and IMO and probably most others Wet/Dry is the only other alternative.

And as i said in another post it is irrisponsible to put a fish in a tank that it will outgrow especially for a beginner who probably will not have the means to upgrade just to accomidate a fish. And a hippo is probably one of the tangs that need the most room for swimming reguardless of size.

Last edited:

danielmanlee

AC Members
Apr 24, 2007
what would be consider a good external filtration? beside wet/Dry ? or can i put more LS or LR in the sump perhap?

Scribble68

AC Members
May 31, 2006
NJ
You cant fit enough LR in the sump to filter the tank. IMO there is no option other than LR or Wet/Dry. Anything else is not effective enough to have a healthy aquarium. Why not put more rock in the main tank??

danielmanlee

AC Members
Apr 24, 2007
I just don't like the looks of stacking the rock high... i like to have a more water room kind of aquiruim...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store