Bolivian Rams? A do or a don't?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Justsumgurl

Registered Member
Sep 22, 2017
Ok so, I have a heavily planted 75gallon tank that is currently stocked with Praecox Rainbows x7, Turquoise Rainbows x5 (one died recently) ... Harlequin Rasboras x12 and some newly aquirred Gertrudae Rainbows x6... literally the tiniest fish ever....and soon I'll have some Forktail Blue-eyed Rainbows x6. I have a handful of Amano shrimp that basically rule the tank. They are huge, they don't take crap from anyone and they literally steal the fishes food right at the surface of the water. I added around 10 teeny tiny blue velvet shrimp yesterday and I can't find a single one. I hope they weren't eaten. Anyway, my long-winded question....are Bolivian rams too aggressive to add to my setup? I think these are the coolest fish ever, I'd love to have two or three but I'm getting conflicting info on the internet. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I do not think Bolivian Rams are too aggressive for your stock. They maybe aggressive with other small Cichlids, but not your currant stock of fishes.

Reactions: Justsumgurl

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I don't think they'll pose a problem for the fish or the amanos, but they will definitely snack on any of the smaller caradina/neocaradina etc families of shrimps. Adult rams can eat adult shrimps, so unless you let them get very well established, you'll likely just provide snacks...and, even there are tons, you won't likely see the shrimp without a serious search. I had a 37 with malawi shrimp and redback paradisefish. The paradisefish hunted the shrimp, and despite there being hundreds of shrimp, I only saw them if I pulled out a handful of the subwassertang they hid in.

Justsumgurl

Registered Member
Sep 22, 2017
I don't think they'll pose a problem for the fish or the amanos, but they will definitely snack on any of the smaller caradina/neocaradina etc families of shrimps. Adult rams can eat adult shrimps, so unless you let them get very well established, you'll likely just provide snacks...and, even there are tons, you won't likely see the shrimp without a serious search. I had a 37 with malawi shrimp and redback paradisefish. The paradisefish hunted the shrimp, and despite there being hundreds of shrimp, I only saw them if I pulled out a handful of the subwassertang they hid in.
Thanks. I feel better about the shrimp. I'm going to hope they're in hiding like you suggested. I definitely won't purchase anymore shrimp unless they are Amanos. Too much money to be spending on "fish snacks". :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store