Bottom substance

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

crazyj

AC Members
Dec 14, 2002
Charelston South Carolina
Visit site
Hi all quick ? i have a 55 gallon tank with 30 pounds of gravel in it. Which is real thin i was wondering if i took the gravel out and added a layer of sand to the bottom then added the rock back in if this would work or should i just take the rock out and go with all sand go just go buy more rocks

thanks
Crazy J
:)

Decz

AC Members
Aug 15, 2002
BC, Canada
Personally, I would just stick with one type of substrate, so that they don't get mixed together and become a real mess, and a pain to separate later.

BUT, what you are suggesting WILL work, if that's what you want to do!

Good luck! :)

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
I'd say it really depends on what you intend to do with the tank.
Are you going to plant it? If so Flourite is,IMO, the way to go, as long as you're thinking of a complete overhaul. If no plants are anticipated why not just add to what you already have if you feel the need to increase your substrate?
Len

FishmasteR2002

Pescatore Napoletano
Dec 2, 2002
Visit site
Is it totally for looks? I have gravel in two of my tanks and sand in one. I love the look of sand and it is really easy to clean. Most of the dirt and fish dropping usually stay on the top of the sand. If you want to see what sand looks like look in my sig and i have a few pics in there with my 20G (sand tank). I think that your idea would work, especially for planted aquariums. The reason I think this is because the sand in much more dense and would probably hold roots better. Let us know if you try this and let us how it works. Good Luck. :)

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
everything you asked is more like totally personally preference......

my personal preference is to try to leave it somewhat thin so it is easier to clean and collects less junk. also there is less chances of anaerobic activity in a thinner substrate......

any of the scenarios you asked about would work fine though i would imagine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store