Bought a dozen ghost shrimp and half of them are pregnant. How to maximize baby survival?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

balerion

AC Members
Mar 20, 2017
Northern IL
I bought a dozen ghosties for one of my ten gallons. At least four are carrying eggs that look to be fertilized. They're like a clearish yellow color with black dots which I assume are the babies' eyes.

One person said the shrimplets won't survive unless in brackish water, but someone I met on here years ago that I have on Facebook said they've had great luck breeding ghosts in freshwater. If anyone has any info that would be cool.

The tank is very well planted with a very gentle filter. I have a TON of cabomba in there that's thriving. If the shrimp are smart enough they'll lay their eggs there haha.

I also have smaller tanks I can move the shrimp to if needed. The ten currently houses some very hungry female bettas and danios, who will probably not hesitate to eat the baby shrimp if they can find them.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Several shrimp get labeled as ghost shrimp actually. I think the one that gets labeled as it the most (and is sold the most) breeds in brackish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store