Brackish swarmfishes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TeDeGe

AC Members
Dec 9, 2012
Germany
Hi.

Does anybody know swarmfishes for a small
54 liter (~14 gallons?) Aquarium tank?
It´s measures are 60x30x30 cm.
Any otheridea than Guppys would be great.
I need some fishes for the surface, because
my Stigmatogobius sadanundio are hiding and
I think, with some surface fishes they wont be
scared and show themselves more often.
I thought about different Pseudomugil species,
but some are getting to big.

Greeting from the swabian Sea.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I'm assuming you mean schooling fish. You could try Indian glassfish, Chanda ranga, but they may get a little large for an aquarium that size. you may try halfbeaks, Dermogenys pusillus, as they are also found in brackish areas. The celebes rainbow may also work, Telmatherina ladigesi.

TeDeGe

AC Members
Dec 9, 2012
Germany
Morning.

Yeah, that what i've meant.. schooling fish.

Chanda ranga isn't a brackish fish an the
genus Chanda only contains a single species,
calles Chanda nama. And it would be a little
large.
Dermogenys pusillus would be an option, as
they are inhabitants of the higher places. But
maybe they are a littler bit to large.
Thelmatherina ladigesi are really beautifull ones,
but in my opinion, they are much too big for
such a small tank. Especially because they're
swimming ver much.

But thanks for the infos.
Hope some other guys will write something, too.

Grettings

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
My mistake, Chanda ranga is obsolete nomenclature, they have been reclassified as Parambassis ranga. But in any case, yes I think finding a brackish-tolerant schooling fish of an appropriate size for your tank will be challenging.

guppymonkey

AC Members
Sep 5, 2009
Michigan
I have heard of people using Oryzias woworae and Seahorse together but not sure how a goby might treat a seahorse. there is also Limia caymanesis, vittata and nigrofasciatum, Heterandria formosa, and Jordanella floridae. Look into groups from Florida as there are many people down that way that keep this type of aquarium.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Lucania parva

Rachel Cherie

AC Members
Dec 21, 2012
Houston, TX
I have halfbeaks (Celebes) and they are pretty much only school fish when they are young. As they get older, they get grumpier (like we do) and want more space and less people/fish invading their personal space.

TeDeGe

AC Members
Dec 9, 2012
Germany
Hi

But in any case, yes I think finding a brackish-tolerant schooling fish of an appropriate size for your tank will be challenging.
Yeah, that's a though challenge.
I have heard of people using Oryzias woworae and Seahorse together but not sure how a goby might treat a seahorse. there is also Limia caymanesis, vittata and nigrofasciatum, Heterandria formosa, and Jordanella floridae. Look into groups from Florida as there are many people down that way that keep this type of aquarium.
Thanks. I've already thought about Heterandria formosa oder Limia caymanesis.
They could be an option, because they're livebeares.
Lucania parva
Would be rather difficult, I think. One some websites it is written, that they need cool temperatures in winter.
I have halfbeaks (Celebes) and they are pretty much only school fish when they are young. As they get older, they get grumpier (like we do) and want more space and less people/fish invading their personal space.
And they are getting pretty big, don't they?

I bought ~15 Guppys. Their length was about 1 - 1.5 cm (1/2").
I couldn't find any of them after two hours. Everyone of them was eaten :D

So maybe I will buy a few fish from a Pseudomugil species or I will just use some bigger Guppies from my bigger Main Tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store